PDA

View Full Version : Is your AquaClear HOB filter noisy?

CyberGuy
09/19/2006, 11:14 PM
I have an AquaClear 110 but the water that runs down the tank is noisy. I can decrease the noise level if I increase the water level all the way at the top.

Are most of the AquaClear owners let the water level go all the way near the top of the tank to decrease the water noise level?

sir_dudeguy
09/19/2006, 11:19 PM
do you mean its splashing into the tank creating noise? I've found that w/every hob filter you need to get the water level in the tank up to the lip of the hob filter.

drummereef
09/20/2006, 12:09 AM
On mine I have the water level even or slightly above the bottom lip of the out flow from the AC. This cuts down on excess splashing. The filter itself is fairly quiet.

MrSpiffy
09/20/2006, 08:47 AM
It's pretty quiet for me. I bought an AC 50 and it's really quiet, even more so than my Whisper. But I keep the water level pretty high. I don't like seeing the surface line through the viewing panes.

JotaDe
09/20/2006, 12:01 PM
Has anyone even modified the lip of an AC power filter so that it extends lower to cut noise?

I may do this because it's splashing is about the loudest thing from my tank, no real complaint though, and it also creates a huge amount of salt creep which is a pain when it covers the lens to my PC hood.