PDA

View Full Version : glass drilling in the columbia area?

pitbullpooch
09/20/2006, 05:17 AM
does anyone know where i can get a hole drilled for a bulkhead around the columbia area. im looking to have a 5 gallon nano drilled for a 1/2 inch bulkhead but dont know of anywhere local to have it done and its not worth driving to far all for a little 5 gallon. thanks

coral_reefer_25
09/20/2006, 11:25 AM
Have you verified that the glass isn't tempered? You can't/shouldn't drill tempered glass.

pitbullpooch
09/20/2006, 08:26 PM
yea its an aga and i know all aga's under 40 gallons have no tempered glass on them and the ones over 40 i believe only have tempered bottoms which in my case wouldnt matter either cause i need the back top drilled. thanks for asking though cause i do know some people dont think about that untill they blow there tank out.

Angela Short
09/20/2006, 09:01 PM
I was needing a 29 gallon tank drilled also. But to chicken to try myself.

pitbullpooch
09/20/2006, 09:29 PM
yea i was thinking of doing it myself also. i may do that if i cant find anyone to do it. ill just pratice on some glass first. since its such a small tank its a little harder because the glass is so thin so i was avoiding doing it myself but it might be a fun project...not lol

RockStarFish
09/20/2006, 09:33 PM
It's not that bad I practiced on a 10gl that I didn't need and I only broke one panle and the next went smooth.I have drilled two of my tanks sence and it was easy.

pitbullpooch
09/20/2006, 10:40 PM
you ill probaly practice on a 10 gallon since there so cheap. then if it works ill have to use it as another nano lol. cant let a drilled tank go to waste

c_stowers
09/21/2006, 09:42 AM
Drilling thinner glass is easier in my experience. I've managed to drill my own holes 15-20 times now with no problems. I'm pretty busy for the next week or two, but if anyone needs anything drilled after then I would be glad to help out.

pitbullpooch
09/21/2006, 10:46 AM
yea i just read it was harder but you never know till you try it. i wont need anything drilled for a few weeks to a month anyways. ill look you up and see if you can do it when im ready. thanks

Angela Short
09/21/2006, 02:20 PM
What do you use to drill them with? I have read dimond drill bit but are they like a hole saw bit just better/diamond coated? I need 2 sizes so I wonder if it would just be cheaper to get a glass company to do it. Do you have a 3/4 and 1" both C-stowers? At least thats the size pipes in my overflows so I knoe you go a little bigger right?

coral_reefer_25
09/21/2006, 02:37 PM
Angela,

For a 1" bulkhead you need to use a 1.75" hole saw. I have one of those, but that's all I have. I bought the diamond-tipped hole saw on ebay from some guy in China...it was $10 with shipping and I had it within a week.

Angela Short
09/21/2006, 02:52 PM
Ok the holes are not that big. One is slightly bigger than the other but both were plumbed with 3/4 inch PVC. I need to just measure the bulkheads and see I guess. I will look into it Ryan, thanks!

c_stowers
09/21/2006, 07:03 PM
I just use a diamond coated dremel bit and free hand the hole. The usually don't come out real pretty (but could be cleaned up with sand paper) but have never leaked. Plus, you can't see the hole once you install the bulkhead anyways. It takes about ~20 minutes per hole to do it this way, but it is cheap and reliable (as far as I can tell).

pitbullpooch
09/22/2006, 12:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8195554#post8195554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by c_stowers
I just use a diamond coated dremel bit and free hand the hole. The usually don't come out real pretty (but could be cleaned up with sand paper) but have never leaked. Plus, you can't see the hole once you install the bulkhead anyways. It takes about ~20 minutes per hole to do it this way, but it is cheap and reliable (as far as I can tell).

thats the route i was going to go since i know most people who drill there nano's do the same thing.