PDA

View Full Version : has your lighting/electrical use caused police scrutiny?

Reefski's
09/20/2006, 06:14 AM
i am going to have a refusium on a reverse photoperiod in my garage. the garage door is one that is translucent. i can see problems/curiousity with the blue glow shining through the door. has anyone been hassled.

the new tank will also bump up the electical use, at least until the solar electric panel come online in a year.

Carl

old salty
09/20/2006, 06:35 AM
This topic comes up every once in a while due to the folks who grow marijuana indoors. When the "Authorities" speak of an increase in electrical usage, this really applies to the greedy folks who aren't satisfied with growing for personal use and turn their basement into an indoor hydroponic garden. The net is filled with pictures of homes with owners that were busted for growing pot inside. Not to mention it gives off a very distinct aroma; if they walked up to your garage, they'd know almost immediately that you weren't growing anything illegal.

Here you go:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/PhotoGallery/images/PG080803.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/html/druginter/PhotoGallery/CIPPG073003.htm&h=375&w=500&sz=57&hl=en&sig2=ZA5f_824pALg0GzUCUkfvw&start=1&tbnid=lWhe8Z9DJyxw9M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&ei=vTURRYWmKo2i6gH_t9SwDQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dindoor%2Bmarijuana%2Bgrowing%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

TKByrnes
09/20/2006, 07:19 AM
nic article old salty. Its amazing that people can get away with growing in that quantity. I know my 250 watt mh took my electric bill up $25 a month. I would hate to see that guys bill!!

sjfishguy
09/20/2006, 11:15 AM
I know of a sponsor on this site (wont mention their name) who said when he first started he had a lot of halides running in his basement. Well the cop that lived down the street got a little suspicious that his basement widows would light up the street until 10pm. Pretty funny.

TKByrnes
09/20/2006, 11:17 AM
That is funny! did the cop ever say anything?

musty baby
09/20/2006, 11:18 AM
lots of people have asked why there is such bright light coming out of my windows until midnight, but no official investigation yet- and when I moved into my new apartment the electric bull went up by roughly a factor of three over what my roommate was previously paying.

ACBlinky
09/20/2006, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8183714#post8183714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TKByrnes
nic article old salty. Its amazing that people can get away with growing in that quantity. I know my 250 watt mh took my electric bill up $25 a month. I would hate to see that guys bill!! I could be mistaken, but I think many 'grow houses' steal their electricity by tapping directly into a line. If they didn't, the astounding bill would probably attract immediate attention -- imagine the cost of a basement full of 1000W MH bulbs, there's no way that would go unnoticed for long.

HBtank
09/20/2006, 11:48 AM
They also use helicopters with thermal cameras that can pick up the heat signature from any major venting.

kravi
09/20/2006, 11:51 AM
I have a buddy who is now in Atlanta (he also posts[ed] here) who got investigated by the police because of his electricity bill. He does full reef and clams, so his bills are always up there.

He explained (and showed them) what he was doing with it, but he still thinks he's on their black list :) They certainly weren't happy with his explanation.

--Me

Reefski's
09/20/2006, 12:57 PM
yes, my garage is going to be like a neon sign proclaiming "weed grown here". i should put in a window so anyone can look in and what is really going on.

Carl

goda
09/20/2006, 01:19 PM
i would love for somthinglike that to happen to me lol i know i see people stop outside when walking and looka t hte blue glow. but i turn my lights off at teh same time the sun goes down so its rare anyone knotices

Ritten
09/20/2006, 01:30 PM
Great article, anybody read the guys shirt?

tkeracer619
09/20/2006, 01:30 PM
I live in the middle of, the police academy, the court house, and 2 jails. Cops are everywere.

I leave my lights on till midnight and it lights up the whole circle. But i just leave my blinds open long enough so that all the neighbors know its a fish tank.

If the police wanted to take a look thats fine. What I was more concerned about was a criminal seeing that light thinking to himself, grower = lots of money and drugs.

My house was broken in but they left the fishtank alone and stole electronics......... but left the electronic halide ballasts!!!!

tkeracer619
09/20/2006, 01:36 PM
Hey why is it so foggy in here hey......... frank!!!!!!!! your supposed to be cutting it down.

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/html/druginter/PhotoGallery/graphics/CIPPG073003d.jpg

NoSchwag
09/20/2006, 01:50 PM
you would not know if the cops were investigating you until it was too late. They would have already used FLIR and been digging through your garbage.

No worries :thumbsup:

blstravler
09/20/2006, 02:03 PM
This is a good story.

I had an experiencve with the police in my last place....

I was renting a condo and had lived there for a few months and every once and a while I would sit on my back porch and relax, BBQ, etc.

I had one neighbor that kept coming over and talking while I was outside and he was just a little to friendly, if you know what I mean. After a few times of speakinng with him out side he asked what the lights were. I told him it was an aquraium but he clearly did not believe me. Instantly I wondered if he was a cop. So I noted the car he drove (parked in the drive way of is condo) and the next day I took a ride down to the cop shop and saw his car sitting there.

So the next weekend I had my cousin (who is also a cop stop over with a few of his buddies, also cops; told him the whoel story he couldn't wait to come over with his workmates) over for an afternoon BBQ after they got done with their shift. They all showed up in their uniforms with guns ons. I told them the story, they laughed. Wouldn't you know it they guy stops over, so my cousin drilled him and aksed him his name. He walks out to his car gets confirmation on the radio that they guys is a cop. My cousin comes back and asks him how long he has beem an officer for (24 months), clearly emabrresed he answered the question and my cousin and buddies gave him a load of crap, all in good fun though, then I walked him into the hose and let him see for himself. At whcih point he admited he was curious about the lights...

When all was said and done the guy turned out to be okay and he stuck around for the rest of the BBQ. After that he never stopped by again, figures.

Amazing how a few bright lights makes a person judge you as a criminal.

rickyfins
09/20/2006, 02:18 PM
I had the cops in the neighborhood for the real deal. I was outside and the officer actually asked if he could see what the lights were all about. I had to show him, even though he could see inside, the aquarium in the hallway, and he even toured the basement which he could also see in. But now every cop in town(about 60 or so) all know me and my story, and chuckle when they see me around town.

Figures!

Thanks,

Rick

Reefski's
09/20/2006, 05:06 PM
i love the stories.

i will probably have a few to tell myself one of these days. right now my lights go off at 8pm in the house. no refusium on reverse daylight schedule until the new garage is built with the sump in there.

Carl

Slickdonkey
09/20/2006, 05:54 PM
I'll admit it would make me mad if a cop started asking questions, or especially if they had been tipped off by the power company. If they asked to come in I'd refuse and make them get a warrant. There is such a thing as privacy.

I know they have a job to do but really, I don't like to be harassed. That's just the way I am I guess.

Ryanqk
09/20/2006, 06:21 PM
My upstairs nieghbor thinks i grow pot. My other nieghbor who has seen my tanks had to explain to the guy that my lights are for my tanks, not growing pot. But i live in a house subdived into apts, cuase i couldnt find a nice place on my budget when i first moved here. I also have tin foil over one of my big windows to help cut down my cooling bill, the sun came right thru the window and heated the living sh%# out of my place. So on top of the lights i have foil over a window which must make me look like a pot farmer, but if you were growing pot would you do something so obvious as that? I'd invite the guy down to see the tanks to prove it if he wasnt such a dick! He sacrifices apples over charcoal every night and never says hi, he's about as wierd as it gets. I really dont want to have to show cops my tanks but if it came down to it i probably would. In fact this upstairs guy makes me want to call the cops over to see my tanks before i have them knocking on my door.
Ryan

fat-tony
09/20/2006, 06:44 PM
There's a reefer in our city PD so it's no issue......

old salty
09/20/2006, 07:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8187858#post8187858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slickdonkey
I'll admit it would make me mad if a cop started asking questions, or especially if they had been tipped off by the power company. If they asked to come in I'd refuse and make them get a warrant. There is such a thing as privacy.

I know they have a job to do but really, I don't like to be harassed. That's just the way I am I guess.

I'd be the same way. Then I would heckle them out the door until my throat was sore!! :smokin: My $40 electric bill isn't raising any eyebrows, so I guess I'm alright.

Nano Chris
09/20/2006, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8187858#post8187858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slickdonkey

I dont think its none of their business how much power you use, if i leave EVERY light on in my house, and everything on, and my bill is say $400 and i pay it every month, they should be happy im not ripping them off :lol: and paying it.

Although it would be a waste of electricity.;)

dfiddy
09/20/2006, 07:39 PM
when i had my 75g setup in the livingroom in the front of the house facing the road through a big bay window.. we'd get all sorts of people walking by on their way to the lake up the road, not watching what was in front of them, but peering through the front window and seein' what was up with the huge amount of t5 blue glow radiating out! :D

tuberider
09/20/2006, 07:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8185185#post8185185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
I could be mistaken, but I think many 'grow houses' steal their electricity by tapping directly into a line. If they didn't, the astounding bill would probably attract immediate attention -- imagine the cost of a basement full of 1000W MH bulbs, there's no way that would go unnoticed for long.

Yep, all I'm gonna say is yes. Yep, sorry no street lights in front of my house however. Although most growers use 220V, come to think of it they are smarter than reefers in that aspect, as we mosly run 115V.

Mr.Furious
09/20/2006, 09:39 PM
This has already played out countless times in court. Electric companies cannot alert cops due to high electric bills. Even if they are alerted, the cops cannot use high electric rates to get a warrant. If they want to use flir they still have to get a warrant. Most pot growers get busted for stealing electricity or the pungent aroma of marijuana which are both things they can definately get a warrant for. Make the cops work for it at least, make them dig through your garbage and stake out your house :bum:

PelagicMagic
09/20/2006, 09:49 PM
I would love to be harrased over this by a cop. I would have a very nice tank after a few rounds in court. If they came to my front door I would tell them to #@$% off, I know its not the smart thing to do but if they did anything crazy to me it will pay off after a day in court.

DamnDamsel
09/20/2006, 09:56 PM
Why not just invite them in for a tour? Maybe make a reefer out of em(maybe get out of a ticket in teh future)

PelagicMagic
09/20/2006, 10:01 PM
Thats a good gesture but you have to think about it, these people are bothering and harassing you in the first place and I do not welcome anyone like that into my home.

jay24k
09/20/2006, 10:09 PM
Why not just let them know? I mean if them being nosy actually got a few of these crack heads off the street, it's better for the rest of us. This is the reason why they have to be so careful in busting true criminals. If you have nothing to hide, just show em. Who is it hurting? Yea the cop might look a little dumb for not knowing, but you look like a jerk for fighting something so trivial at first.

I'm not sure why making them work for it is a good thing. I'm not a cop, but these guys put themselves out for people and I understand many can be jerks about it. The quicker they are out of your hair, they can go try the next person who IS growing drugs.

JMO though.

I used to have a blacklight and several years ago when we rented, we rented from a cop I knew from working at the City. All his buddies kept asking if we growing pot in his house because of it lol.

PelagicMagic
09/20/2006, 10:20 PM
I understand where you are coming from but it still does not seem right to me. I work hard, pay my taxes, keep to myself, and am a good citizen. The last thing I want is to be harassed.

Also the guy who rents the house next door to me is a Police officer and he has never said anything because he is a professional. I am running a 210 tank with 220 watts of vho and 900 watts of halides on reverse cycle, right infront of a large bay window that is the front of the house. You cant miss the actinics at night.

nosferatu51
09/20/2006, 10:45 PM
I'm waiting for the cops to show up at my place. I just moved into my apartment from out of town, I'm a med student so I'm in here all day and nobody sees me, I've just filled up about 200g worth of tanks (a 75, a 55, a 20, and a 30 sump/fuge for the 75) and buckets with my RODI )which means what, 800g of water usage? That and I have 500W of halides and various T5s and actinics glowing until about 10 at night. I think the combination of all those factors might make my place a little suspicious :)

jay24k
09/20/2006, 10:50 PM
I understand the privacy issue but if he was to ask what all that light was for, I don't see why not showing him would be such an issue. Yes they have to get a warrant, but it would just save both of your times just to say, sure take a peek, no problem. You never know when that same officer you were polite to, might just help you out one day.

PelagicMagic
09/20/2006, 10:56 PM
I will get back to you on this topic. I need to goto bed, I start work at 7am

xtm
09/20/2006, 11:01 PM
If a cop comes by my house and ask what the blue light is, I'll gladly let him in and explain that marijuana is obsolete. This time and age we grow a different kind of pot that grows underwater (I will then point to my lush green Palythoa polyps growing under the halide) I will tell him that this "new kind of pot" is not to be smoked but rather taken orally. I will then reach for a frag and ask him to "try and chew it"..... :D

nosferatu51
09/20/2006, 11:07 PM
Isn't assaulting (or killing/poisoning) an officer illegal? ;)

hawaiianwargod
09/20/2006, 11:14 PM
This is a cool thread...amusing but in reality it is sad that some were harassed by the authorities due to their electrical usage.

Slickdonkey
09/21/2006, 12:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8189593#post8189593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
Why not just let them know? I mean if them being nosy actually got a few of these crack heads off the street, it's better for the rest of us. This is the reason why they have to be so careful in busting true criminals. If you have nothing to hide, just show em. Who is it hurting? Yea the cop might look a little dumb for not knowing, but you look like a jerk for fighting something so trivial at first.

I see what you're saying and can understand it, but hopefully you can understand my point of view. Which is namely it's none of their business what I do in my house. I don't care if I look like a jerk, I'm not letting a cop in my house any more than I'd let them search my car after a speeding ticket.

IMO, the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" mentality sounds a lot like George Orwell to me.

Maybe I sound paranoid, but letting anyone from law enforcement into your house opens the door to all kinds of craziness, like maybe they take an interest in that book on Muslim extremism on your coffee table the wrong way.

It is my understanding that if you invite them into your house they don't need a warrant to use anything they find there in court for whatever reason.

Ryanqk
09/21/2006, 12:28 AM
Its not that the police have harrassed me its the upstairs niegbor who likes to snoop around none of his bizz and claim "That guy must be growing pot" When people talk sh$t about me im very unhappy about that. And this guy is wierder than me. I am seriously thinkin of bringing a cop over so if he ever did try to report me i can just say i already gave a tour go ask officer blah blah. And he can tell them whats in my apt. Cuase its rude to talk about someone like that without ever enganging in a conversation or being nieghborly and simply asking me questions first.

Slickdonkey
09/21/2006, 12:50 AM
No question you have a bad neighbor. I'm not sure how your town is, but where I live the cops would laugh me off the phone. They have better things to do than come out for a tank tour :lol:

JR719
09/21/2006, 01:02 AM
Wow, talk about paranoid people.... As a COP, I've seen a few tanks thru open windows from the street. If it is not a busy time, I'll stop and make contact. Get to talking about tanks (about everyone here is fresh water though) and get invited in to take a look. I have so far found EVERY aquarium keeper I have made contact with, while on duty, is very happy to talk "shop". The freshwater crowd, once they find out I have saltwater, will talk until I force my way out. They say they've heard it's too hard to do, you know the talk.
On the other hand, I've never gone to a residence because of electrical usage (can't do that one anymore without a warrant for the electric records). There would be many other factors before getting the warrant. Trying to get a search warrant by simply saying "extremely high electrical usage rate" does not cut it. It would take a trash pull, informant information, or an odor. Can't use thermal either, Supreme Court say's that's a no no.
On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong, illegal, whatever, with Police knocking on your door and asking to search, or ask what the lights are about. If you want to be a jerk, tell them to get a warrant. All that will do is make them think you have something to hide (trust me on that one). You can bet you'll be watched.
Believe it or not, cops are not "out to get you", they are "out to get the bad guy", ok, if your a bad guy, we're out to get you. One way of doing that is a "knock and talk". Simply knock on the door and see what happens. 99% of these are just decent, hard working people. There was just something that clued a guy into thinking something illegal was going on (maybe very bright lights on at a late hour?), is that so difficult to understand? Why not just show the ballast's and get the "I'm stupid" look?

"It is my understanding that if you invite them into your house they don't need a warrant to use anything they find there in court for whatever reason."

Not really... If they ask about the lights, and you show them the tank, only what is in plain sight between the tank and the area walked can be used, don't keep your illegal stuff within eyeshot. They cannot walk thru-out your house without permission.
Once they see the lights, show them the ballast's with the watt rating. Believe me, you'll get the "I'm stupid" look.
Most would probably be in awe over the tank and ask many questions. So think about it, are your rights being violated for someone asking a question? NO. Does the "cop" know you and know your a hard working individual with nothing to hide? NO. Does it appear to an average person that someone with very bright lights on during late hours "may" be growing? YES. Would you want the Police to check out a possible grower? honest hard working people would say "YES".

After all, it is our job, we are expected to do it as you are expected to do your job.

It is not my intention for this post to be rude or taken as a personal shot at anyone. I simply wanted you to see what it is like from "the other side of the fence".

tkeracer619
09/21/2006, 01:50 AM
Well put.

People are paranoid b/c of your radar gun :mixed:

Give us the autobahn and the world will be much better off.

If I could drive 160mph I could go to the beach.

:bounce1: :beer: :bounce3: My 1000th post :dance:

PelagicMagic
09/21/2006, 05:35 AM
I think this also has to do something with the city and state that you live in. JR719 seems very professional. I live in Jacksonville Fl, our cops are terrible. They have zero people skills, don't show when you need them and the department has been in the news many times for all sorts of embarrassing activities, they also have a high turnover rate.
I once pulled into a gas station to ask one of our finest directions that was just sitting in his car in the lot and had the rudest reply ever. Needles to say I didn’t get any help, why would I want anyone like this in my home? Its also our rights as Americans to not have to tolerate these activities but I won’t get into that in this thread. Now a few months later I was in a neighboring county on one of our job sites ( I work in community development) and our brand new 7k neighborhood sign was vandalized. I called to make a police report and with in 5 min an officer was there and he was very nice and professional. He took his time to fill the report and seemed like a regular guy, not a young 20 something cop on a power trip. This was in Baker County which is a smaller county next to Duval County. If I had made a report in Duval county the police would have taken up to an hour and would have seemed annoyed with me for making the report. Now if they can not make time for a tax payer why should I make time for them? I am sure there are good professional cops just not in my neighborhood.
I will be polite, ask them to get a warrant and shut the door. Good luck getting a warrant

fabrejr
09/21/2006, 06:35 AM
I'm getting ready to set up a 120 not too far from a 6' X 10' window. I know there is at least one State Police officer, and one city officer in the neighborhood, but somehow I doubt they will think anything about the light.... I've won the neighborhood Christmas Decorating contest for the last few years so everyone is USED to seeing my house all lit up!!! Lets see, 25,000 Christmast lights, or 750 watts of tank lights... I think this December's electric bill is going to set a new record. Last year's peak consumption was just over 4MWh in one month. :D

SoupySteve
09/21/2006, 09:58 AM
I'm glad JR719 got to throw in his input on this one - as all sides of this issue need to be understood before anyone makes a stand on an argument concerning this issue. The way I see it (and please, disagree with me!) our police are here to enforce the laws put in the books by our legislature (by We The People, supposedly), laws that our judiciary deems constitutional or not. If the cop is doing his/her job and observes something which might lead him/her to belive that there is something illegal occurring, they'd be LESSER cops for NOT trying to obtain more information. Take for instance the cold-medicines that cannot be sold anymore over the counter because of the meth production in my state as a good comparison to this debate... if a person where to purchase large quantities of sudafed and was observed by law enforcement, you'd HOPE that they would try to find out what was going on.
Although deep down, the "if you aren't hiding something, what are you afraid of" argument does ring true - I pray (and I'm not a religious person :bum: ) that this sort of mentality never finds its way into EVERYONE's way of thinking.
Sickdonkey did a great job of reminding us that this is an argument about privacy and liberties VS "public safety" - or whatever spin you want to put on our country's war on drugs
Let me try to lay out some options for you if law enforcement wants to know what's up with the lights/ your electric bill:
1 - Question: Is there anything in your home that you'd rather an agent of our executive branch not observe in your home?
2 - Answer:
A (yes) Uh oh! Better hope your mini-greenhouse/Sadaam Hussein Hidey Hole under the garage has a more convincing door (styrofoam doesn't blend too well with a dirt floor) than the aforementioned Iraqi dictator's...
Ask law enforcement if they have a warrant to buy some time to clean up evidence - your books on Muslim Extremism need to get thrown away ASAP! Next, get to your hard drive - no no no, MacAfee won't cover your tracks, get that unregistered pistol to make sure that it can't be recovered...
Show him/her your aquarium and hope they don't mistake your 27" skimmer for some hookah they've not seen the likes of since their college days...
B (no) "C'mon in sir! Take a look at the mangroves that you may have mistaken for some sort of Salty Salvia!" Show him/her your aquarium...

Obviously, I try to smoothe things over with humor but, if neither of these options are to your liking, I suggest letting your local representatives know how you feel.

Although the movie had its lame points, the movie "V for Vendetta" had a quote ... "People should never fear their government - the government should fear its people" and I've enjoyed saying it as often as possible. If you don't like what's going on, get off your butt , quit watching Dancing With The Stars, and write a letter. Sometimes people forget that they live in the USA - and although we are far from perfect, we should do our part to try to mold our country towards perfection - as there are few places in the world where people have the luxury to do so. It is such a shame that so many of this take that luxury for granted.
OUT!

ERICinFL
09/21/2006, 10:05 AM
A police officer lives six doors down from me and has yet to say a word to me about my "blue glow". I don't think she's even bothered the guy across the street for his either.

As for officers being mean... well, put it this way. Say your job was dealing with EVERYONE'S problems. All day, everyday, that's all you had to deal with. From the upper crust, to the scum bags, your job is resolving problems and/or preventing them. You might get a little mean too. In my job, I work with police officers almost every shift and I wouldn't want to do what they do. I've seen, what appears to be, an upstanding citizen, suddenly come unglued and try to attack an officer. The guy got tazed before he could lay a hand on the officer, but in that line of work you have to be suspicious of everyone and expect the worst. Most of the officers I know are totally different people out of uniform. With the badge on, they HAVE to seem like a bad a$$ for the simple reason of detouring any thoughts that he can be taken down easily (at least that's what one of them told me). Sorry to get off topic, but I gotta stand up for my fellow public servants.

Slickdonkey
09/21/2006, 12:11 PM
You all raise some good points and it's good to hear the POV of an officer. My argument isn't with the police officers personally, i.e. whether they are nice or responsive, but rather I just feel better about not letting them into my home without a warrant. No I don't have anything to hide, but you have to admit the current atmosphere in the US is toxic. I just feel better if the government stays out of my home; it's personal preference is all.

55Reef
09/21/2006, 12:14 PM
Here's one for ya...

I'm currently having some legal issues with my neighbor. My neighbor is a lunatic.
He wrote a letter to my attorney saying that I grow pot and I have a "sophisticated hydroponic growing system" in my house, and that's how I've gotten the money to make improvements to my house. I think his plan was to have my attorney drop me. My attorney has already been to my house and seen my tank.
So, now I'm waiting for the cops to show up. No problem if they do. They will just get quick lesson on Protein Skimmers, Metal Halide lighting and Algea control... That will get them to leave.

Sorry, It's just a Reef...:rolleyes:

SoupySteve
09/21/2006, 12:17 PM
SLickDonkey "No I don't have anything to hide, but you have to admit the current atmosphere in the US is toxic. I just feel better if the government stays out of my home; it's personal preference is all."
Well said! :)

kravi
09/21/2006, 12:26 PM
My issue is not one of being polite or not being polite.

I don't like the idea that a police officer would even try to walk up to a door and "ask" if he can see what is inside. I recognise that he has a job to do (I was accepted into the MPDC after testing, but declined because I got a too nice job offer), but...

On a matter of principle, my house is private. I don't like the fact that it is suspicious if I don't let a cop in (without a warrant, obviously). I got pulled over once for speeding, and the cop asked if he could check out my car. I declined, but only after explaining to him my views on privacy.

I'm a raging libertarian, though.

So I'd rather ruffle a few feathers (politely though), and not aquiesce to a request to view the appartment than compromise what I feel is right and proper.

--Me

Slickdonkey
09/21/2006, 12:33 PM
I agree Kravi.

I also want to point out I'm not trying to start a political discussion here. Nor am I a weirdo who lives out in the woods with a bomb shelter and an arsenal of automatic weapons.

But it's my right not to have cops in my house if I don't want them there; I don't care what they think I'm hiding.

But you know, when I upgrade to 400W lights it will be even brighter :)

LauraCline
09/21/2006, 02:43 PM
Where I live, the cops wouldn't have time to respond to someone calling about a possible grow operation however, I would not allow my privacy to be violated if an officer did show up asking about the lights. Since I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't see any reason to have uninvited people into my home just to make a cop's job easier. If I want to talk shop, I come here and if I want to show someone my tanks, I'll invite them over.

Ryanqk
09/21/2006, 03:08 PM
Hey i used to live in Jacksonville I cant stand the cops there they are a shady bunch. Alot of violations and abuses at that dept. Not all are bad but they certainly earned a rep there. I moved away as soon as i could lol

PelagicMagic
09/21/2006, 06:21 PM
Cool I was one of the founders of Bio- Reef engineering while I was a junior at UNF

antonsemrad
09/24/2006, 01:33 AM
I would like to point out that "weed" is relatively harmless.:rolleyes: I think that it is a shame that a police officer should have to waste time and $$$$ even thinking about the light coming from someones house. I know..... its their job.... But I don't think it should be.

Having said that, if someone from the Appleton Police Dept. knocked on my door, most likely I would do anything I could to help. We really have a great PD!!!! Truely the exception IME.:thumbsup:

Ryanqk
09/24/2006, 01:38 AM
here here

IndyReefMan
09/24/2006, 11:32 AM
I guess I'll start keeping my blinds cracked open at night to let the light out. I'll take any opportunity that I can to show off my reef.