PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic or glass cover for the tank?

CyberGuy
09/21/2006, 12:06 AM
I have a custom built tank but did not order the glass cover for it.

I can go to Home Depot to buy the glass and cut it to make a cover. Hower, I also notice that they also sell acrylic.

Should I buy the acrlyic piece to make a glass cover?

Does it let more light penetrate the tank?

Does it bend over time and fall into the tank..especially with some heat from the light. This is what worries me the most.

drummereef
09/21/2006, 12:12 AM
I would not tank cover. You need the gas exchange. Both will interfere with light transfer.

CyberGuy
09/21/2006, 11:03 AM
I only need to cover about 75% and I think that protein skimmer and my HOB Aquaclear would be enough for gas exchange.

I am just afraid that my lights may fall into the tank.

drummereef
09/21/2006, 11:10 AM
What kind of lights are they? Do you have a pic you can post?

SirSmapty
09/21/2006, 11:51 AM
It depends on the acrylic at home depot you use. I tried some of the cheaper stuff and after about 5 hours the sheet had warped so much from the heat of my lights that it dipped into the water. I will get a glass cover for mine this weekend.

kappaknight
09/22/2006, 08:02 AM
Get an eggcrate.

CyberGuy
09/22/2006, 09:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8198099#post8198099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kappaknight
Get an eggcrate.

That is a good idea. Any suggestions on where to get one that is only about 3 mm in height?

areze
09/22/2006, 09:38 AM
you'll hate yourself for ever with a cover. the salt will cake up on it and you'll need to clean it daily to keep light coming in. the UV gaurds on my halides get opaque in a week, and their 4 or 5" off the surface.

dont think you'll get egg crate that thin, but does that really matter?

barjam
09/22/2006, 09:57 AM
3mm egg crate would basically be a net.

The Saltwater Kid
09/22/2006, 10:23 AM
This is probably a stupid question but what's the egg crate you're talking about? I don't have a cover on my tank now but would like to get a Flame Anthias and the guy at my LFS said they are jumpers and he wouldn't put one in my tank unless it was covered. I have a glass top that came with it but like an above post mentioned they get dirty fast and I would like to avoid having ANOTHER thing to clean.

drummereef
09/22/2006, 11:11 AM
Egg crate it basically the plastic louver cover you can buy for florescent lights. You can find in in the ceiling tile or lighting department at Home Depot / Lowes. I have it and it works great.

rickh
09/22/2006, 12:06 PM
I use an AGA glass cover on my tank. It doesn't get encrusted with salt but I clean it weekly with warm water. My lights are sitting on the cover, no legs, so the tubes are about 2" from the water. The glass does reduce the light intensity slightly, but without a cover you must raise the lights to keep them from getting wet and salt encrusting your reflectors.

Now here is the science lesson:)
If you raise your lights just 4" above the water to keep them dry or your tank cool, the sand bed receives only 1/4 the amount of light. So why bother with a giant MH lights 12" above the water when a much lower wattage T-5 or PC just above the water delivers the same amount of light?? You Got Me. :)