PDA

View Full Version : how can I test an auto top off?

supermarvin76
09/21/2006, 05:56 AM
I am going to buy an auto top off very soon. I will probablly go through www.autotopoff.com

My question is once I get it set up, how can I test it? At first I was thinking that I could just cup some water out and see if the ATO worker, then I relized that if I did that then the salinity in the water would be come out of limits.

I want to test it to ensure that it works properly, I am certain there is away to do it, I just don't know it yet.

Thanks!!!

MJAnderson
09/21/2006, 07:25 AM
Put salt water in your storage container? Combo water change and top-off test in one!

supermarvin76
09/21/2006, 09:02 AM
That is a good idea...thanks. Anyone else?

silverwolf72
09/21/2006, 09:18 AM
You shouldn't need to remove enough water that it would effect your salinity. Or you could just pump the water into a different container then just put the old water back into the tank.

supermarvin76
09/21/2006, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8191681#post8191681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silverwolf72
Or you could just pump the water into a different container then just put the old water back into the tank.

This is a good idea, but if this was done, the the "auto shut off" that is in the sump would never shut the pump of because the water wouldbe going into a seperate container than the one that has the switches in it.

lakee911
09/21/2006, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8191790#post8191790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supermarvin76
This is a good idea, but if this was done, the the "auto shut off" that is in the sump would never shut the pump of because the water wouldbe going into a seperate container than the one that has the switches in it.

Don't leave the pump on.

silverwolf72
09/21/2006, 10:08 AM
I'm hopping he would be there when he tested it. Just add the water back to the sump to see if it turns off.

drummereef
09/21/2006, 11:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8190635#post8190635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supermarvin76
I am going to buy an auto top off very soon. I will probablly go through www.autotopoff.com

My question is once I get it set up, how can I test it? At first I was thinking that I could just cup some water out and see if the ATO worker, then I relized that if I did that then the salinity in the water would be come out of limits.

I want to test it to ensure that it works properly, I am certain there is away to do it, I just don't know it yet.

Thanks!!!

I tested my autotopoff.com with a spare 10 gallon tank and resevoir. The tank was $9. Thought it would be a small investment to make to get it right the first time. Just set it up and get the levels where you want. Secure the wire ties and you're good to go. Oh, I just used tap water to get things going.

TwistedTiger
09/21/2006, 11:37 AM
I have one from auto topoff.com and believe me it will not add enough to change your salinity. I have the double float that hangs on the side of my 20 gallon sump and it adds right at 3 cups at a time(using a measuring cup). The larger the surface area of your sump or compartment that it controls the level in the larger the amount it will add at one time, the smaller the surface area the less it will add at a time.