PDA

View Full Version : Is my setup considered Reef or Fish Only?

dannable
09/21/2006, 02:50 PM
If I have 15 pounds of Live rock (in a 35 gallon) and going to put in 3-4 fish, snails and a cleaner shrimp or two is my setup considered a reef tank or a fish only tank? A reef tank consists of live corals, right??

I am wondering because maybe I was misleading about a previous question I asked about my canister filter and if I should keep using it or not. A canister filter would be bad for Corals because they are picky on water qual but probably would be ok for a fish only setup correct?

Sorry, this is the last question about my Canister filter that I am now stuck with!! I cannot (well, I can $$$) believe that this was recommened by aquarium services outlet (my lfs).

Weezel111
09/21/2006, 02:57 PM
your FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) tank is fine with a canister filter for now...if you plan on diversifying your system, read up on sumps...pretty easy to DIY...actually you really dont even need the canister filter right now if you have a good skimmer...just make sure you clean 1/3 of your media thats inside the canister once every couple months(very important)...otherwise your filter ends up doing the exact opposite it is supposed to do...

also, try adding another 20 lbs of live rock if possible...this will really help with your biological filtration...

Billybeau1
09/21/2006, 02:58 PM
I would call it a FOWLR.

dannable
09/21/2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks. I feel really dumb asking that question. So a canister was not a bad recommendation for my setup (FOWLR) if it is propery maintained?

Should I rinse the foam in tap water or salt water from my tank when I do water changes? I know the ceramic rings should be salt water but the manual is not clear on the how to rinse the foam.

Should I rinse this during cycling? I have been cycling for 20 days now. Nitrite and Ammonia are both at 0.1 and my ph is 8.4.

Weezel111
09/22/2006, 07:29 AM
is your tank up and running already? if not, and you plan on ever corals in, you may want to drill and add a sump...im in the middle of doing this right now...it would have been a lot easier to do it right the first time....although, that is kind of the famed quote in the hobby i guess...at least with me anyways...

dannable
09/22/2006, 07:51 AM
No plans for corals in this tank. It is and will remain a fowlr tank.