PDA

View Full Version : mag flake vs. mag pellet

jules77
09/21/2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Randy,
I hope this question is not redundant but you know the RC search thing. I have been trying to find a bag of the mag flake and totally unsuccesful unless I want a whole truck full... can anyone say group buy? I have found availability on the pellets which you touched on briefly in your article. Do you feel that this is a safe alternative and reasonably close in purity and volume to use in the same recipe amounts?
Thanks a lot for your help, and for your sharing of knowledge.
JZ

boxfishpooalot
09/21/2006, 04:59 PM
is it made by the same company? Pellets would have more mass than a flake. But it should go by weight.

jules77
09/21/2006, 07:15 PM
The recipe calls for 5 cups which is not a weight based measurement. My thought process was to pulverize the pellets so that the 2 volumes could be similar. The pellets are made by dead sea as well and it is mentioned in the improved version of the recipe.

boxfishpooalot
09/21/2006, 08:17 PM
sounds too complicated. Do you have a msds of it? Otherwise, the product may be used for another purpose,and result in a disaster.

If you add 5cups of mag flake it would be different thatn 5cups of pellets because the pellet should weigh more per cup.

You cant find mag flake? I would just stick with that, even if you have to ship it to you.

outy
09/21/2006, 10:33 PM
crush it and then measure, it will be close enough anyway.

i only dose about 3 tsp magflakes when my mag is low then re-measure and everyonce in a while ill use a little epson salt

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/22/2006, 12:34 PM
I don't really know anything about the pellets in terms of purity. If you use it, s tart the dosing slowly and watch for negative responses from organisms before dosing a lot.

jules77
09/22/2006, 06:24 PM
anyone out there that could weigh a cup of mag flake for me so I can get apples to apples?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/23/2006, 05:41 AM
I do not know of anyone who uses the pellets. Sorry.

jules77
09/23/2006, 07:15 AM
http://www.beattheice.net/mag/MagPelletsMSDS.pdf
http://www.beattheice.net/mag/MagFlakesMSDS.pdf

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/23/2006, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately, Dead Sea Works only supplies the bulk density for the flake, not the pellets. That purity data, which I have seen, is not adequate to give a green light to its use either. It does not cover the ions that might most be of concern, such as ammonia or copper.