PDA

View Full Version : feeding yellow fiji leather?

Siiri
09/21/2006, 05:28 PM
Hey everybody,

I got a question about how to feed a yellow fiji leather coral. I have no idea how they eat... Sounds stupid, I know. I mean most corals have a mouth or something, but I cant see anything on the fiji. So how do they eat???
When is the best time to feed it and what ? I read mysis is ok...
Well any help is appreaciated :)

Thanks

BurntOutReefer
09/21/2006, 06:01 PM
what light you got him under? I would feed phyto - cyclo products..indirectly...just let it go into the water stream...BUT, the light is more important...I have one under a 400WMH...he is now almost 13"..

bertoni
09/21/2006, 07:29 PM
Some phytoplankton might be consumed by the coral. I don't know exactly what you have, so it's hard to say for sure.

coyoteseven
09/22/2006, 12:33 AM
I've had a Fiji yellow (Sarcophyton elegans) (http://www.reefermadness.us/Sarcophyton_elegans.htm) that I got from ReeferMadness over 2 years ago and it has split on me over a dozen times since then. It's in a 90g lit by 2x175w MH (15000K XM) and 220w (4x55w) 50/50 PC.

Though I've never fed it directly, about once a week I put about 1 teaspoon of decapsulated, hatchable brine shrimp eggs in the general vacinity. A few fall on it but don't seem to be consumed by the polyps. For the most part, I believe they are photosynthetic and will do well in moderate to high light... though not too intense, IME.

I burned up a frag by setting it too high on the rock (even though the care chart on RM says intense light)... shriveled up into a brown ball within a couple of days. :(

BurntOutReefer
09/22/2006, 09:39 AM
If I was to estimate, I'm pretty sure that 95% of its "intake of food" is photosynthetic and in 5% using polyp capture method in the water stream....so as long as its good quality light you really should never have to target feed....just IMO

DrBDC
09/22/2006, 06:47 PM
I don't specifically target feed anything including my yellow fiji and it's more than healthy. If I have to start target feeding anything other than giving my anemone a silverside it's gone!