PDA

View Full Version : need help with new clam tank

rihanssu
09/21/2006, 08:17 PM
i'm going to be building a clam tank that will come off my main tank, main is gonna be a 320gal SPS tank, clam tank is gonna be 60 gal (2'x2'x2') i'v never done clams much before except from a few crocea in my 75 gal reef and sad to say i never learned much about them.

i was wondering if anyone can give me some good advice on things such as

flow: how much?
lighting
placment: i wanna keep crocea dursa gigas and maximus clams can they be kept together and do they have speacial needs? also i was thinking of putting sea horses in that tank also will that work? any PM's, directions to a good site or reading online, threads or just good old experience advice would be much appreciated!
-matt

jmaneyapanda
09/22/2006, 06:16 AM
matt- you are asking so much information. in a nutshel;l- high light, low-med flow, high clacium and alkalinity, non-agreesive tankwmates, suitable nitorgen source in water. I would suggest going to wetwebmedia or a similar site, or buying a book. There is a lot to be learned.

kfisc
09/22/2006, 09:20 PM
Here's two more cents:

Flow: As much as possible, but none directly on the mantles;

Lighting: Blast 'em. Place the derasa off to the side if you choose a high-wattage regimen, but they'll benefit well from it.

Placement: They're all good tankmates. Maxima and Crocea higher up in the rockwork, (better if they're attached to something at purchase), derasa and gigas on the tank bottom. A single gigas will eat all the space you have within a year or two.

I've got no clue about seahorses; the latest issue of this website's magazine has a great clam article.

rihanssu
09/26/2006, 06:22 PM
ok saying that it is a 2x2x2 tank how much flow shoul di have? i mean in GPH?