PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian White-spot Puffer

D to the P
09/21/2006, 10:46 PM
I just got one, and want to know what you guys feed yours. I've tried frozen clams and squid and he said no. I've seen him eat scallops but just havent gotten around to get any. He also does love fiddler crabs. just wanted to know what diets you guys were using.

T-T-Trigger
09/22/2006, 05:36 PM
good quality mysis would probably be welcomed.

Nemoislame
09/22/2006, 06:01 PM
I feed mine vitamin-enriched cockles, mussels, lance fish, shrimp, mysis, krill and brine shrimp, Mine is a pig and eats nearly anything offered to him.

zemuron114
09/22/2006, 11:36 PM
he will eat everything once settled in. they are nearly impossible to kill. lol

SumpDiver
09/23/2006, 06:46 PM
Problem with puffers is they are slow to get to the food before the more aggressive eaters get it. I have a Masked Dogface in a tank with a trigger and a tusk. The puffer was a picky eater in the beginning, but now eats anything that moves, especially my hermits and snails, but what he really LOVES is krill. Try defrosting some frozen krill in tank water with crushed FRESH garlic and feeding him with a feeding stick or turkey baster, dropping the krill right in front of him. No Puffer can resist this. Just bop the other fish on the nose with the feeding stick when they try to steal the puffers dinner.

Worked for me. Now the puffer takes pieces of frozen squid right from my hand, and sometimes has a little bit of fingers for desert.

D to the P
09/24/2006, 10:43 PM
thanks for the replies, he seemed to like mysis shrimp, now i just have to stop the flow in the tank so he can get the mysis shrimp before it flows past him