PDA

View Full Version : cold cathode moon lights

exoticaquatix
09/21/2006, 11:01 PM
anyone try these for moon lights? they look like a great option/alternative to LEDs. simple hook-up, good coverage?
cheap!

http://www.nexfan.com/ducocalib12.html

-nick

flyyyguy
09/21/2006, 11:26 PM
All moonlights are crap IMO. They are nowhere near the proper spectrum and i think they bother your corals and critters more than anything. Let the tank have night. The lights on in the house are bad enough in a lot of cases.

Just my .02 : )

coyoteseven
09/22/2006, 01:13 AM
For the most part, the tube(s) you're looking at are meant for computer mods and are probably too bright for moonlights.

Quote from Nexfan: Our kit is fine tuned to push out as much brightness as possible, while still keeping the best lifespan to brightness ratios.

Just my 2ยข

BeanAnimal
09/22/2006, 11:49 AM
They can be dimmed.....

Flyy can you show some evidence to the fact that the light bothers the livestock? Can you show evidence as to what wavelengths bother the livestock? Can you show what the "correct" wavelength and light level for the moon would be at a given depth?

Honestly, your statement is all opinion and no fact. I am not saying your wrong, but maybe you should provide some evidence to back up such a bold statement.

The lunar cycle has been shown to be a contributing factor to coral spawning. Is it the light or the gravitational pull? I dunnom, but the moon certainly is a part of the natural environment of the ocean.

coyoteseven
09/22/2006, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8199638#post8199638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
They can be dimmed.....

Cool!!! Didn't know that... thanks Bean.

Now you've got me thinking... ... ... and that can be a very dangerous thing :lmao:

jcjstl
09/22/2006, 12:03 PM
here are the ones i way looking into using. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=86138&CatId=1460 but they are uv emitting ... not sure if that would harm anything or not.

exoticaquatix
09/26/2006, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8197087#post8197087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
All moonlights are crap IMO. They are nowhere near the proper spectrum and i think they bother your corals and critters more than anything. Let the tank have night. The lights on in the house are bad enough in a lot of cases.

Just my .02 : )

this is just silly. the moon is reflecting light from the sun for one thing, so its spectrum would be within that range. secondly, any given coral has evolved over thousands and thousands of years in an area recieving high levels of sun light not to mention moon light. to say its bad for them is just wrong.

as far as being too bright i would be putting them in a canopy over a 120 so the light would be pretty spread out. if 2 was too many ill sell the other one or keep it as a spare. if i had any $$$ to spare right now id have them already. hopefully i can get some first hand knowledge from someone.
-nick