PDA

View Full Version : 40 to 60G Reef System Recommendation

threeiron333
09/22/2006, 10:26 AM
I currently have a 12 G Nanoreef (hammer corals, mushrooms, 2 clowns, tree coral) that I have been running for the last couple of years. I would like to upgrade to a larger aquarium 40- 70G. I am not at all a DIY type of person, and I would like to buy an all inclusive system which I can just put together and add water and livestock. My biggest problem with this hobby which I started 3 years ago is that you always run into some retrofitting. And because I am not a very handy person, it almost always led to failures for me. My current system is JBJ nano cube with no retrofits. I am happy with it other than obvious limitations due to size.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand that I should look at. I notice Clear for Life aquriums advertise complete reef packages.

By the way I would like to have a system with a separate pump and a protein skimmer.

Any recommendation from folks who have seen such packages would be very much appreciated.

kravi
09/22/2006, 10:41 AM
Uhm. I can't give you much advice on what complete systems to get. I can say, however, that no matter what complete package you get, it's gonna require some DIY skills.

If you really don't want to have to learn/use any "handyman" skills, I would recommend you stay with a nano.

If you are willing to learn (even if you don't have the knowledge now) than I guess a fully packaged reef kit might work. Still don't know which ones to recommend (or recommend against).

--Me

TKByrnes
09/22/2006, 11:05 AM
Try to find a complete setup for sale in your area (used) that would be your best bet. any new setup is going to require some diy like kravi said. maybe you could find a local reefer in your are that would be willing to offer advice or even a hand in setting up your system.

drummereef
09/22/2006, 11:44 AM
I'm going to say there is no all-in-one reef with maybe the exception of Elos systems. They are loco expensive, but you get what you pay for. I'd maybe look for a used system that has all the equipment you're looking for. Easy set up and built in tech support. :)

JC VT
09/22/2006, 12:04 PM
Hi ThreeIron

I would go with a glass aquarium and add one of these: http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter007

Skimmer, filter, water movement, and auto top off.

JC VT
09/22/2006, 12:06 PM
Sorry, you're going to have to copy and paste the link, or follow the link provided and click on "comline kits". It is the Tunze Reefpack

PrangeWay
09/22/2006, 12:23 PM
Well depending on what you mean by complete...

Just pick up a 65gal RR All-Glass, you can get a stand, hood and sump with that all in a package your LFS can order. The only 'DIY' would be hooking up all the parts, but that's not DIY, you don't have to build anything.

PW