PDA

View Full Version : (Another) Microbubble dillema

frank551
09/22/2006, 12:49 PM
I am having a microbubble issue that I am hoping you can help me brainstorm and solve. Here is the details, in the order that the water flows:

70g Reef, 25g sump

1. Quiet one 3000 (roughly 3x turnover in sump, I like the low flow sump method)

2. 2 Lok Line return nozzles

3. Megaflow overflow with modified oceanic durso

4. 2" flex line w/ ball valve stopped down to about 50% closed...keeps it silent.

5. 90 degree bend into another durso that drains just below the water line in sump

6. This porrtion of sump is baffels off with acrylic, so water goes through live rock and under acrylic baffles to form a bubble tower

7: this comaprtment of the sump also houses a CSS 75 skimmer that has a modded durso return that also drains into the aformentioned bubbletower.

8. Over-under-over baffles with filter floss stuffed between the first set. A visual inspection would show that micro bubbles go into the floss, but zero come out over the next baffle.

9 Fuge with DSB, LR rubble and Chaeto.

10 a short baffle and eggcrate separate the fuge from return, but share about 2/3 of the water volume so the return pump does not run dry as quickly.

That's it. There are two MJ in tank for flow. I turned each one off, and neither *seem* to be the cause of the bubbles, but at the same time, it sure does not seem as if there are coming from the return nozzles either.

I'm stumped. Suggestions?

TKByrnes
09/22/2006, 01:07 PM
maybe your return line is sucking in air and adding them that way?

frank551
09/22/2006, 01:13 PM
I thought about that, and I suppose it is possible, but every join is clamped with a screw clamp. The return line is flex and a pvc ball joint straight to the bulkead.

TKByrnes
09/22/2006, 01:17 PM
yea but maybe there is just a pinhead size leak that wouldnt let water out but sucks air in. try running a bead of silicone around each joint and see if it helps.