PDA

View Full Version : Clown goby with SPS...

Terryz_
09/23/2006, 12:35 AM
Hi, anybody have experiences with Gobiodon albofasciatus and Gobiodon unicolor in a tank with SPS... I am quite interested in them but i have a small amount of sps in my tank... Would they cause any major problem with the sps?

I know some of the clown goby have a problem with sps as they will nip at the polyps and stressing the coral... and clear the tissue?

Thanks

NuclearReefs
09/23/2006, 10:48 AM
I personally wont keep any other gobies that house themselves in SPS.. Ive found that they hender growth and aggrivate the coral...

tokinreefer
09/23/2006, 11:16 AM
I agree with nuclearreefs, they sit in the SPS branches and cause the polyps to close. IMO any energy the coral uses to expand and retract it's polyps continuously is energy that is not available for growth.

Terryz_
09/24/2006, 07:56 AM
Okay... Will keep them in a seperate tank..

reefinmike
09/25/2006, 07:11 PM
i like mine. he can hinder the growth of the coral he is in all he wants. he lives in a brown monti digitata that grows about .75"/ month.

danfrith
09/25/2006, 09:44 PM
would this also be the case with acro crabs?

Cody Ray
09/26/2006, 01:51 AM
IMO clown gobies are fine if u have larger colonies.

ezcompany
09/26/2006, 01:56 AM
i saw some clown gobies viciously nipping at some table acro.

iantoh
09/26/2006, 02:05 AM
hi there terry!

nice to see you here. my personal experience hasn't really been conclusive, seeing as i never personally observed the clown goby nipping at or consuming sps polyps, but in the time that i had a yellow clown goby in my sps tank, the two colonies that it stayed in during its two weeks with me (i passed it to a friend thereafter) retracted all its polyps in that time. now even though the clown goby refused all the captive foods i offered it, including cyclopeeze and frozen brine and mysid shrimps, its stomach was constantly bulged, suggesting that it was feeding on something else, which leads me to suspect it was feeding on me sps.

a day or two after i removed the clown goby, the two colonies it took turns to perch on extended their polyps again, so personally, im not planning to add a clown goby to my system again, even though i think they look terribly cute, and contrast the colours of sps type corals perfectly.

cheers,
ian