PDA

View Full Version : Lighting enough for montipora?

Ryanqk
09/23/2006, 05:03 AM
I have so far kept away from sps corals due to the lighting needs, I have a 30gl display with coralife 2x65w 10,000k lighting. I was wondering if there are any sps corals such as montipora which could do ok under these lights or do i need to upgrade in order to keep any sps corals?
Thanks
Ryan

paulhines
09/23/2006, 07:13 AM
I've grown all 3 growth forms of montipora (caps, digitada, and encrusting) under pc lighting. Grown them BIG! You should be fine with those ights, just change the bulbs every year.

Serioussnaps
09/24/2006, 12:27 AM
UMMMMM NO...IME..

if you change those bulbs every year you are mistaken..

i couldnt keep softies growing perfectly without changing those very 6 months...that very fixture...i use on on my fuge/sump now.... they likely wont do well under your lights but give it a shot up high in the tank...i bet they will grow but be very brown...also for the sake every year??? please ...every year.....his interests are church and if you plan on keeping SPS under 65 w pc's and change bulbs once a year that is exactly what you will need...church

Wiskey
09/24/2006, 12:36 AM
I have a submerable Lux meater, and I can tell you that PC bulbs drop off very fast. Around 4-6 month is where I saw 30% decreace in output.

I definitally reccomend bulb replacement at 6 months.

I also reccomend a light upgrade, like getting another 55W PC fixture and adding it to the 2X65 you already have.

Whiskey

Ryanqk
09/24/2006, 12:57 AM
I have a relativly inexpensive source for the bulbs and always keep spares, i was planning on replacing once every 6 months anyways, but if the coral just wont do well anyway im less inclined to try sps. I wouldnt mind getting a extra 65w fixture if there are any single bulb fixtures out there. That would help my anenomes out too. I would probably have to start stacking the cra$ out of my live rock to get it high in the water column too....
Ryan

Serioussnaps
09/24/2006, 04:06 PM
wow....just read my drunken post from last night....sorry everyone

Ryanqk
09/25/2006, 01:26 PM
i couldnt tell, except i didnt get what u meant by "church"

Amphiprion
09/25/2006, 02:50 PM
You can grow sps under compact fluorescents, not particularly fast, but you can grow them. At work, I have a 'mystery' piece (used to look dead) that has not only recovered but is growing under a single 50/50 pc. I think many of the Montipora species would be fine for your tank.

Ryanqk
09/25/2006, 03:08 PM
Are there ones in particular that i should avoid in that species?
I am currently building a sort of tower of live rock to get an area within 3-4 inches of the surface.

Amphiprion
09/25/2006, 03:38 PM
I would think about it differently, rather, just have a few species that you would attempt. Many plating species commonly sold as M. capricornis, as well as branching species (also more collectively called M. digitata). I would stick with those corals.