PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halides causing some heat problems

krafty
09/23/2006, 10:20 PM
All,

I installed my new retrofit kit today. It consists of three 150W 10K MHs and 4 96 watt Actinics. This is my first tank and I am working towards setting it up.

It is an all glass 125gal.

I have been running the lights for about 9-10 hours now and the water temp has gone from 75F to 80.5F. I have read in a few books that some people are now keeping their tanks at natural reef temps. These temps extend into the 84 degree range.

My questions are....1.) should i be concerned about a temp of 80 degrees? 2.) Would directing fans at the water level cause any significant decrease in the temprature of the water? 3.) Would putting the glass tops over the aquarium decrease the temp? 4.) are there any other suggestions?

I dont think it should be necessary to get a chiller but like I said, this is my first tank and certianly my first experience with MHs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

Reefrus2003
09/23/2006, 10:28 PM
Leave the glass tops off and direct fans at the water, I have 3 -250 watt MH and 260 watt actinics on my 125, no glass tops and 2 fans blowing across the water my temps stay about 80 degrees running the halides about 8 hours a day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8208582#post8208582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krafty
All,

I installed my new retrofit kit today. It consists of three 150W 10K MHs and 4 96 watt Actinics. This is my first tank and I am working towards setting it up.

It is an all glass 125gal.

I have been running the lights for about 9-10 hours now and the water temp has gone from 75F to 80.5F. I have read in a few books that some people are now keeping their tanks at natural reef temps. These temps extend into the 84 degree range.

My questions are....1.) should i be concerned about a temp of 80 degrees? 2.) Would directing fans at the water level cause any significant decrease in the temprature of the water? 3.) Would putting the glass tops over the aquarium decrease the temp? 4.) are there any other suggestions?

I dont think it should be necessary to get a chiller but like I said, this is my first tank and certianly my first experience with MHs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

areze
09/23/2006, 10:45 PM
tanks main form of heat loss is evaporation. like a cover on a pot to make it boil faster. dont cover the tank.

promoting evaporation by keeping fresh air on the tank will assist it further.

evaporative cooling is so powerful you can actually cool a body of water below the temp of the air that its evaporating into. (not that this is a concern for you, but for the personal computer over clockers, this is a fun little fact)

krafty
09/24/2006, 12:16 AM
Thank you for the advice. How much water should I expect to lose to evaporation every day? I should probably mention if it wasnt assumeed that I have a canopy over the tank. It is open in the back and I have the tank about 4 inches from the wall.

Reefrus2003
09/24/2006, 12:38 AM
I also have a canopy over the tank, and is open in the back tank about 6 inches from the wall. I evaporate around 3 gallons a day. Fans stay on 24/7.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8209100#post8209100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krafty
Thank you for the advice. How much water should I expect to lose to evaporation every day? I should probably mention if it wasnt assumeed that I have a canopy over the tank. It is open in the back and I have the tank about 4 inches from the wall.

stevem650
09/24/2006, 09:05 AM
If you add a fan blowing on your sump you will also cool your tank down. Evaporation will increase and does cool the water.