PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a MH with T-5s need some info

newreef06
09/23/2006, 10:21 PM
I have a 55G tank its running a current 260Watt PC. I was thinking of getting a MH with T-5s. How many watts do I need. Also what would be the better lights. Just a T-5 Alone of a Halide with T-5s. Also How much more would the MH make my electric bill go up. Is it a whole lot or not that musc. I was going to run the Metal halide for 4 hrs and than the t-5s with out the MH for 4 hours. Also How many watts should I get

Scott

falesdk
09/24/2006, 01:02 AM
off the top of my head I believe someone once told me that between 3 and 5 watts per gallon works for a wide range of corals, some needing more, some wanting less.

But do not take my word as the last, the only coral I ever bought got eaten by a fish. :)

mattc183
09/24/2006, 01:08 AM
I think metal halides are more efficient than flourescents. At most
your bill will increase by $20. And if your on a averaging plan you
probably wouldn't even notice.

mattc

fsn77
09/24/2006, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't choose lighting based upon watts per gallon. Watts are watts when it comes to your electric bill, but not when you're talking about lighting intesity / PAR (photosynthetically available radiation). MH and T5s are more effiecient at delivering PAR than PCs on a per watt basis. A 250w MH or 4x54w T5 will provide much more light for your tank than a 4x65w PC. However, a single MH may not have enough spread to cover the enitre length of your tank.

How many watts you should have depends on what you want to keep. Without knowing that, it's hard for anyone to recommend a lighting type and wattage.

auto_loader
09/24/2006, 07:47 AM
I ran dual 175 watt 10K MH on my 55 gallon and felt that it was adequate for that size tank and could pretty much keep a wide range of corals. If your going with all SPS I would lean more towards 250's