PDA

View Full Version : Ways to move H2O

ManfromAtlantis
09/23/2006, 11:28 PM
Hi,
I am somewhat new to SW tanks. I have had a 30 gallon for about 1 year. Converted my 55 gallon to SW about 3 months ago. I used most of the live rock, sand, etc. out of my 30 to convert the 55g. Anyway, I had left live sand and a couple of live rocks in the 30g so that I would still have a 2nd established tank.
Today I found two (Black) captive breed seahorses at my LFS. Well, I just had to have them..:D And since the 30 was already set up and water levels all checked out I went for it.

My question is if you don't run a skimmer, (read on here today that I shouldn't).

Question #1.What do you use for water flow??? I had some small power heads running, but one of them got stuck to the intake, so I unplugged them. Now I have no water movement at all unless I run the skimmer..

Question #2. Just how much flow do these guys like? None? Some? Fast? Tide pool type movement?

Question #3. If they do in fact like current and skimmer = bad.
What are you guys using???? Thanks for your time..

ManfromAtlantis
09/23/2006, 11:36 PM
BTW: Here is a bad pic. Water is still foggy from moving things around and adding the new long live rock for them to have a branch type hangout.. Thanks

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135559SH1.jpg

Fredfish
09/24/2006, 06:12 AM
I use a maxijet powerhead with a large filter basket over the intake. There is not enough flow at the intake to cause any problems.

I don't know that horses actually need any flow, but they do not shy away from the areas in my tank where there is water flow. I like some flow in my tank just to keep O2/CO2 exchange going at the water surface.

You could also simply bubble a little air using ridgid airline.

Fred

JennyL
09/24/2006, 08:06 AM
Hi James,

"Black" is not a species. You need to know what species you have in order to provide the proper tank conditions.

A seahorse tank does need flow. 3-5x turnover per hour is normally recommended for adults.

A good protein skimmer is a very good piece of equipment and I highly recommend them.

ManfromAtlantis
09/24/2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jenny,
They are Kuda. The reason I said black, is because I thought there was only one kind if they were black because I had seen this:
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=1769&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4 (http://)

They list them on there as black, yellow and red ponies, so I thought that was a common thing. I am just learning about them and reading all I can. I just love them, but not a scientist just yet. :) Sorry for the confusion. Thanks very much for the advice! :cool:

Fred
You could also simply bubble a little air using ridgid airline.

DanU
09/24/2006, 11:10 AM
Based on the image, I would add something for more biological filtration. I also find that seahorse tanks do well with mechanical filtration. My preference on a seahorse tank is to run some type of external biological, chemical and mechanical filtration unit whether it be a HOB or canister. I also like to run a UV unit and protein skimmer.

I don't worry as much about the actual turnover rate as I do the current. The horses need an area that is low current. If you have a high turnover ratio, you simply need to disburse the return current in such a way that they don't have to hang on for dear life or get blown away.

Dan

Fredfish
09/24/2006, 11:20 AM
OK, maybe I derserve the rollie-eyes for my low-tech suggestion :D , but bubbling air is a very efficient way to move water and does not cuase any issues with sucking up and dammaging your horses.

Dan, why do horses need water movement? I don't doubt you, I am just curious what lies behind this.

Fred

DanU
09/24/2006, 11:37 AM
Fred, I don't know that seahorses specifically need water movement but water movement is needed for filtration to work. I agree that air can be effective in moving water. But from the looks of the tank, more filtration is needed. I also like external filtration and that requires movement. I have seen successful systems done both ways, very little flow and very high flow. My only preference is to have enough flow for design of the system filtration to work.

One other point, in many systems where there is high and low flow areas, you will find the seahorses hitch and rest in the low flow areas but will often play in the high flow areas. I don't know if this provides any specific benefit to the horses.

Dan

Fredfish
09/24/2006, 11:56 AM
ManfromAtlantis, sorry for taking the thread somewhat off topic.

Thanks Dan. I like water movement as well and it does benefit other organisms in my system such as filter feeders and algaes.

I agree on the additional filtration needed. How about some of the biological kind in the form of some macro algae. Adds hitching points hiding places and hunting frounds for the horses too.

Good luck with the horse ManfromAtlantis.

Fred

DanU
09/24/2006, 01:20 PM
I agree with Fred, macro algae would make a great addition!

Dan

ManfromAtlantis
09/24/2006, 06:27 PM
I agree with Fred, macro algae would make a great addition!

I have added some already. Skimmer is running and they seam to like riding the currents. They swam right to it when I turned it on. I made sure there are no bubbles. The rock that they like to hang out on has very little current as well. I have some hang on filters, but all I have is charcoal filters for them. I can take a larger live rock from my 55 gallon until I can get some more. I was also thinking about taking a power head with the foam square around it and pivoting head and trading it out with the power head I have in there. The power head in the SH tank only has the plastic cone type extensions. That what the sea horse had gotten stuck to. He was no where near the impeller. Still, I do not want it to happen again. The skimmer creates a pretty good current so now I am not sure if I should even add a power head.. Maybe just to put on the surface.

Sorry for the rolled eyes Fred. I thought you were pulling my leg. Everything I have read says, NO BUBBLES in the tank.. Kind of confusing hearing that one.. Ha! The water has settled down now from my messing around in it and it has cleared up. Added some TLC (live bacteria) to it as well. They seam to be happy swinging around and napping. They have also both eaten well. I have really enjoyed watching them. Thanks for the help guys (AND GALS!). JennyL TY for the advice..;)

Fredfish
09/24/2006, 06:38 PM
Funny thing about this hobby, there are a lot of differing opinions out there. I am personally not a subscriber to the micro bubble theory.

Sounds like you have things well in hand. Enjoy your horses.

Fred

pledosophy
09/24/2006, 11:37 PM
I use powerheads, return pumps, and filters to move water.

I like higher flow especially inbetween the rock to reduce the amount of dead spots where things can accumulate. I use spray bars to break the flow up enough so the horses are happy. I have run tanks with turnovers up to 20x an hour, quite the spraybar setup though. Was unsightly, had to remove for aestetic reasons.