PDA

View Full Version : Is this pump is good enough

gunnwong
09/24/2006, 01:51 AM
Hi
I have 55g tank with 30g sump. My question is I have mag7 pump that I use for pump the water from my sump to my main tank. the water go through sump-->pump(I use it as external)-->chiller(1/10hp Artica titanium)-->UV-->main tank. In tank I have 2 Rio 130 and 1 Rio 200 that on all the time, I also have Maxi Jet 900 and Seio M620 that on when the light is on. My tank is mainly soft coral and I have about 5-6 fish in there.

The question is:

1 Is my return pump(mag7) is good enought for the job or should I change it? if I should change it what kind of pump is good for my tank size.
2 Is the mag7 pump can be use for external and internal pump right?
3 Is my tank water circulation is good enough or should I change the pump?
4 Is 5 pump in my tank is energy conservation or bad idea? should I just replace the pump to 1 or 2 big one is better?
5 If I replace all the pump to one tunz wave box, is it will be good for my tank?

thank you
PS sorry for my bad englis

bubbaOPPD
09/24/2006, 02:22 AM
Wrong forum, but your mag 7 should be good enough for re-circ, you might want to get rid of the rios heard too many people complaining about losing everything in their tank from a rio burning out and poisoning the tank. Your Seio and Maxijet are more then enough flow, a wavebox is overkill on a 55gal kinda like hunting squirrels with a Barrett light 50cal.

gunnwong
09/24/2006, 11:40 AM
any one else??

jmaneyapanda
09/24/2006, 11:50 AM
The mag 7 may be good enough, it depends on the head loss through the chille and uv. Besides, you'll want to meter the flow through the uv- if it goes too fast, it wont kill anything. Check the manufacturers flow suggestion on the UV and check the flow with the MAg 7 on it. Mag drive pumps can be run externally.
I agree about the rios, I have had only one, and will never use them again. They not only fail, but go out in a blaze of glory.

Dont get a wave box- you'll never be able to get it tuned for your tank. Look into a product called Wave2k- that should be better for making giood flow, cheaper, and easier to find and get.

gunnwong
09/26/2006, 12:48 AM
so what the good pump for my 55g tank, that will make a good water flow?
thanks

jmaneyapanda
09/26/2006, 05:59 AM
are you looking to get good water flow, or run it through the chiller and uv? You may not be able to have both. I would figure out what pump you need for the returnm, and have flow dictated by other means- ie- tunzes, wave2k, etc. Worst case scenario, put a ball valve on the mag 7 oputput and cut it back to the desired flow rate.

fisherette
09/26/2006, 01:06 PM
The mag drives are great but suck tons of energy.

There is a gadget called the flodor that rotates the flow of a powerhead. great invention. check them out.