PDA

View Full Version : new to the community and stoked...

big_popa
09/24/2006, 02:26 AM
Hey guys ,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the board but have been monitoring for awhile. Ive been keeping fish for sometime but by no means an expert. I've had a small reef tank in the past and getting back into it as i have missed it alot. looking forward to learning and picking your brains. my first question.... i am in the first week of recycling my tank do to a 100% loss because 4 day power outage due to flooding. so.. i have cleaned everything properly and brought my salinity up over the past few days. do i have to cycle with a damsel ? my tank was up for 6 months before the crash. if so i was going to cycle with coctail shrimp. second part of my question is when cycling with coctail shrimp how many would i use for my 90 and do i have to spread the cocktail sauce directly on the shrimp or just dump it in the tank? lol... o.k. just some humor to break the ice. but the first part of the question is for real. peace all.

Bri Guy
09/24/2006, 10:15 AM
Well first of all

[welcome]

Your tank should cycle by itself with 180lbs of live rock (as long as you didnt cook it), espically if some of it died, its like having thousands of mini coctail shrimp cycling your tank, I wouldn't worry about adding anything just yet, keep check on your ammonia levels over the next few days, and see what happens, I think you will be fine. (most people cycle with live rock, not fish or shrimp)

Did you write a good Blues song for when your tank crashed? :)

Andrew
09/24/2006, 10:29 AM
[welcome]