PDA

View Full Version : Removing musrooms from rock

UmpaLumpa
09/24/2006, 08:18 AM
I've got two small (dime sized) musrooms growing on a small rock that has a bit of aptiasia on it. Is there anyway I can remove the mushrooms without killing them so I can take that rock out?

keckles
09/24/2006, 05:36 PM
Any form of stress placed on the mushrooms will result in either a long-term recovery or possibly death.

IMO, your best options are to:

1. Chisel the mushrooms away from the rock
2. Inject the Aiptasia

kau_cinta_ku
09/24/2006, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8212887#post8212887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keckles
Any form of stress placed on the mushrooms will result in either a long-term recovery or possibly death.

IMO, your best options are to:

1. Chisel the mushrooms away from the rock
2. Inject the Aiptasia

i agree on your options but disagree on the part about any form of stress part. i have cut mushrooms off the base with a knife plenty of times and have litterly chopped them up to bits tring to get them off and in a week or so they looked just fine. so if that isn't stress to a shroom then i don't know what is.

keckles
09/24/2006, 10:28 PM
I said that mainly because of the size of the polyps in the description.

The stress response can be limited with precise care; i.e. placing the polyps in a dimly-lit, low-flow area. But, the stress response will still come and will usually last quite some time.

Racing1
09/25/2006, 07:01 AM
I too do not agree on the stress part. Yes it may stress them a little, but if taken care of they will do just fine. I have fragged a few of my shrooms that were about a nickel size by cutting them in half. Put them in low flow with low light and in a week they are back to normal. Good luck with yours....

Tankenvy
09/25/2006, 09:46 AM
I agree with the disagree-ers. Mushrooms are typically pretty tough. Chances are, if you cut the mushrooms off, rubberband them to another rock, then chip the attachment spot off of the rock w/the aiptasia, you'll probably end up with new shrooms growing from those chips. Or you could just inject the aiptasia with some Joe's Juice or something like that.

jay24k
09/25/2006, 04:28 PM
I disagree as well. I butcher the crap out of my mushrooms and they just WONT die.

DIE SHROOMS DIE!