PDA

View Full Version : LOUD!!! MJ900 w/Venturi on skimmer... what to do?

Newreeflady
09/24/2006, 11:26 AM
Ok, this pump is loud when using the venturi. My FAR larger pumps are quieter than this thing. I am running this on a CPR BAKPAK 2 inside my sump. Are there any much quieter options? At this point, I just want to shut it off when i'm sitting by it, grrr!

Thanks,
-A

Paliya
09/24/2006, 11:48 AM
I have a CSS65 that has a rio with a venturi. It came with a little 'silencer' (looks like a film canister). Anyway, on mine the noise is the air being sucked in to the tube. So, I connected the air input tube to the top of the collection cup. No more noise! It did require me to drill a hole in the top of the collection cup though. If you're willing to mod, a similar method might work for your set up. If you need pics, look at the 'Coralife Super Skimmer Pics' thread. I think it's in the equipment forum.

Newreeflady
09/24/2006, 12:15 PM
That doesn't sound like it's really allowing air to go through the column of water very well, which is the point of the skimmer (the small bubbles come in contact with a large amound of water and trap organics then pop at the top of your cup.)

But, yes, the noise is definitely the venturi.

-A

stereomandan
09/24/2006, 01:14 PM
The noise is coming from the end of the exposed airline right? If so, I have a solution.

I took a large plastic container, like one for carbon, or other media. Once it's empty, drill two small holes in the top, just large enough to get air line through. Put a small rag or towel, or polystuffing in the canister. The airline coming from the venturi should terminate about 1" under the cap of the canister. Then take about a 3-4" section of airline and stick it in the other hole. The canister acts as a big silencer without sacrificing air flow.

Dan