PDA

View Full Version : filtration for a 75 gallon

gusto1
09/24/2006, 12:40 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of setting up a 75 gallon (not drilled) fowlr, I have a aqua c remora pro protein skimmer, I also just pick a used wet/dry and a UV sterilier, now is a wet/dry and a uv the way to go, I'm a little nervous about using an overflow box because I had a problem with one once it drain some of the tank, I'm I better off with my protein skimmer, live rock and just a HOB refugium? I'm also just going to be using about an inch of course sand.

Thank you

flfirefighter13
09/24/2006, 01:45 PM
Everyone has their own opinions but in my experience you can make almost anything work. I have a 75 that was setup as a carnivore tank w/ live rock. This had a 2' eel, blue spot puffer and small huma huma trigger in it along with 100lbs of live rock. I used a fluval 304 and a CPR bac Pak skimmer with no problems at all. IIRC the remora is a little beefier than the CPR skimmer. That tank was not drilled and this allowed me to function without a sump so no overflow was needed. In a perfect world A drilled tank and a sump seems to be the way to go for me. My reef and as of yesterday my carnivore tank are run on a sump with a skimmer in it and a bag of carbon. Ive got a few pieces of live rock in the sumps just to stop bubbles but they need to be cleaned often to often detritous buildup.... which I hear it what most fear about wet dries.
Sorry to be so wishy washy but I guess what im getting at is anything is possible, try it with just the hob skimmer and fuge and see what happens, as long as your not overstocked you should be able to pull it off without a problem, or just bite the bullet and get a drilled tank.

flfirefighter13
09/24/2006, 01:47 PM
sorry, should have mentioned the reason i changed the carnivore tank was not cause it didnt work out, but for a bigger tank... the non drilled 75 is going freshwater now though.

waterman78
09/24/2006, 02:52 PM
Gus....I say go for it. Wet/dry filters are perfect for fish only tanks. Just make sure to change out your mechanical filter media...filter pads...carbon bags, etc...and it should work out fine. In my experience, Aqua C Remora skimmers work great as well. With the larger water volume, it will be easier to keep great water parameters.

gusto1
09/24/2006, 08:24 PM
Thank you for your responses, I probably will used it but I did read that some people take out the bio balls and use live rock, I guess thats also a choice, this wet/dry is only 20 x 14 x 8, I really should have bought a bigger one, but I guess it's better than nothing.

flfirefighter13
09/24/2006, 08:35 PM
combined with live rock in the tank and the skimmer i bet youll be just fine with that size. Try the bio balls and if you have nitrate issue just slowly take em out, Its all about learnign a way that works for your tank and maintenence schedule!