PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches from Acrylic Aquarium

bhj67
09/24/2006, 02:20 PM
Hi,
I used the RAINBOW LIFEGUARD Scratch Removal Kit (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_maintenance_scratch_removal_kit_pentair_aquatics_rainbow-lifegard.asp?CartId=) to remove some hairline scratches from my acrylic tank. Although it got rid of the scratches, it reduced the clarity a significant amount. By itself, the side I buffed looks acceptable, but when compared to an unbuffed pane, it is blurry and has an even haze over it. I sanded a lot with the finest grade sandpaper they provided in the kit. I am very disappointed, and would much rather have lived with the small hairline scratches.

Is there any way to get the clarity back?

zoebeaglezoe
09/24/2006, 04:42 PM
you can get a 1 micron buffing coumpond liquid and that will remove the haze if it is on the outside of the tank or if it is empty

aqualab
09/24/2006, 05:19 PM
Anybody else have any luck or disasters or insight or proven techniques using the Rainbow or Tenecor scratch kits on the inside of a tank with water, fish etc...? I am in the same boat and would like more feedback before I attempt to get out a few scratches - two of which are somewhat significant on the front pane which was caused by my stupidity, carelessness and trying to balance large pieces of flagstone in front of an operating Stream pump - the flow/current caused it all to fold and scratch my tank. Thanks

CastleRock
09/24/2006, 05:28 PM
Best there is, it will remove the haze and scratches.
no effect on fish or coral using in tank with Micro-Mesh
Been using it for years in acrylic tanks
AQUARIUM KIT
https://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=175#17

flyin2jz
09/24/2006, 05:52 PM
my tank was hammered when i got it. I didnt even think i could fix it. I used some meguirs car wax with a foam buffing pad, with a high speed buffer. It took some time and alot of buffing but it was perfectly clear when i was done. Better than new i thought. Kevin

nautilus808
09/24/2006, 07:11 PM
i USED NOVUS, #3 AND #2. WITH A LITTLE ELBOW GREASE IT WAS GREAT . Tank must be dry,

twon8
09/24/2006, 07:39 PM
the novus one will take out the haze; i did the 6 level sanding as well and still would have saved time just using novus.

bhj67
09/24/2006, 08:32 PM
castle rock,
the kit you pointed out looks just like the one I have, except mine has one more even finer grade of sand paper. are you sure this wont leave any small haze?

Also, the problem I'm having is with the interior of the tank, and draining is not really an option
the haze I'm talking about is very very fine, and is noticeable when comparing it to another pane.

scottcc
09/24/2006, 08:53 PM
I use nuvos on the outside..Works great... But what about inside..if I drain the tank half way will the residue hurt my fish/corals? Thanks for the help..Cin OH

CastleRock
09/24/2006, 08:55 PM
Then order the 12000 MICRO-MESH
Yes you can use it with the tank full
Not sure what the kit you have has in it as far as grades go but the 12000 is the one that will take haze out
Call them they are a TON of help
This is the stuff they use to restore and maintain fighter jet canopies