PDA

View Full Version : Starting Mantis Tank

sweetpea355
09/24/2006, 03:28 PM
Hey all, ready to start to a mantis tank. Its a 10g , not up and runnin yet. Going to add black sand and a regular powerfilter,skillter,and a ph.I am going to use water out of my reef tank that has been running for 11months and a bag of bio balls thats in there. How does this sound so far for those of you who have them? Also my LFS has 2 mantis shrimp one greenish gray and the other is a yellowish green, not sure what species and the lfs not sure, there both about 3 1/2". I look at the ROYS LIST and they both look like a couple of them. The tanl is glass and that is my only worry right now, so is the PEACOCK the only one that can breake a tank or can all of them do it?

DanInSD
09/25/2006, 09:26 AM
In a 10 gallon, I would stick to the "smaller" species. That rules out species like Gonodactylus chiraga, Gonodactylaceus ternatensis, and of course the peacock, as mentioned.

Try to get a positive ID on the LFS mantises. Go in there with a digicam, post pics here, and you'll have an ID in like three seconds. ID'ing unknown mantises is a popular fetish here :)

The three that I mentioned are the only ones that I know of that you are likely to find in a fish store that can possibly harm the glass.

Make sure you know if you're getting a smasher or spearer, though! Very different living and feeding requirements!

Dan

Thurge
09/25/2006, 11:25 PM
I think a G.chigra would be OK. The other two would definately out grow a 10.
Skilters suck I wouldn't spend the money on one. I would spend the money and go with a Remora Nano or Tunze for a skimmer.

Kati
10/04/2006, 10:42 PM
I have a G.Chiragra in a small tank and I love him. He is tiny though, not more than 3 1/2 inches. just be careful and don't get one too big for your tank.