PDA

View Full Version : how to make a power head bracket?

areze
09/24/2006, 04:21 PM
I have some maxistream mod powerheads. I had used suction cups, but they suck.

I could buy larger better suction cups, and they will work better for longer, but they will eventually fail.

Im looking for a indefinite solution; that being, a hanger.

the question is, what to make it from, and how?

the main problem I am running into, the canopy hugs the sides of the tank, so there isnt really much clearance for a hanger. unless it were very thin.

also, how to aim the power heads; Id like to have more options than shooting it directly horizontal across the tank, maybe angle it back or down or something...

any suggestions, or how you have done it? pictures more than appreciated.

Mr Bojangles
09/24/2006, 05:54 PM
here is mine, you can see its just a nylon bolt and wing nut and a piece of acyclic bent in a 90 degree. The top is just screwed into the side of the canopy.

http://www.reefers.org/album/images/3583_158158.JPG

areze
09/24/2006, 07:36 PM
I like it, how is the wing nut attached to the maxijet though?

Mr Bojangles
09/24/2006, 07:43 PM
if you can see that the part for the MJ mount is still in the groves. It is for the clip that hooks on the tank. the bolt goes threw it and the nut goes on top.

zoebeaglezoe
09/24/2006, 09:01 PM
I heard some people are buying the algae cleaning magnets
(cheap ones) and superglue one to the powerhead and there you go. I bought the sure grip #50 from algae free which comes w/brackets but I just superglued one on and it works great .

areze
09/24/2006, 09:53 PM
I like the magnet idea; except that I dont really want magnets on the outside of the tank :(

zoebeaglezoe
09/25/2006, 01:47 PM
If you have overflows you can set it up on the overflow and then you won't see the magnet that's what I did on both my tanks