PDA

View Full Version : Fish trap

Larry Soderblom
09/24/2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone interested in plans for a simple fish trap? Barb and I needed to catch a "rocket fish" in our reef tank --- a 5-inch lunar wrasse (thalassoma lunare) that thought all our shrimp were yummy. I was told that getting rid of this guy would be impossible without disassembly of the tank---somethiing we really didn't want to do. So I built an underwater version of the 6-year-old's box-stick-string trap that did the trick. After a couple of days our menace (still endeared to us) was back at the local aquarium store. If anyone wants the plans...let me know.

drinkhomebrew
09/24/2006, 11:17 PM
sure.

lvpd186
09/25/2006, 06:05 AM
why not post them, I'd like to see some pics of it as well.

pdwife
09/25/2006, 06:13 AM
I have used a empty 2 liter soda bottle in the past to catch a tang. Just cut the the spout big enough for the fish to enter. Then cut all the way through the soda bottle about 1/4 of the way fron the top. Then invert the cut part into the larger portion of the bottle, secure with super glue. Drill or Dremel a small hole in the top and attach some fishing line to the trap. Put some food in the inside of the trap, submerse, and when the fish enters the bottle; yank it up!
If you google DIY fish traps a pic of this one will come up.

crumbletop
09/25/2006, 07:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8214780#post8214780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larry Soderblom
If anyone wants the plans...let me know.

I'm interested. I have a flame angel I need to catch :(

mastou
09/26/2006, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8215631#post8215631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pdwife
I have used a empty 2 liter soda bottle in the past to catch a tang. Just cut the the spout big enough for the fish to enter. Then cut all the way through the soda bottle about 1/4 of the way fron the top. Then invert the cut part into the larger portion of the bottle, secure with super glue. Drill or Dremel a small hole in the top and attach some fishing line to the trap. Put some food in the inside of the trap, submerse, and when the fish enters the bottle; yank it up!
If you google DIY fish traps a pic of this one will come up.

I have done the same, and it worked very well :)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/111238Simple_fishtrap.jpg

Oh year "skær her" means "cut here" ;)

/Magnus