PDA

View Full Version : Verry new. Still researching

Kaser
09/24/2006, 11:58 PM
I've always liked looking at fish tanks when I see them. Never really had an interest in having one until about 3 months ago.

I've been looking around and just seeing what I can do.

I want to start off with a 55 gallon tank... and after that I really haven't gotten much further.

I want to get *everything* mapped out before I start dropping money.
That's just the excuse I'm using until I get a new job. That's the real reason why I haven't started! :P

I'll mostly be browsing the website looking at other people's builds and seeing what they've got going for them. I'll ask questions when I feel necessary.

If anybody has any advice as to a good beginners build for a saltwater tank that can simply look amazing... I am all ears and very pleased to accept any knowledge.

-Kaser

MimicTang
09/25/2006, 12:07 AM
55 gallons with used remora skimmer and an aquaclear 50. 2 heaters in case one goes haywire you wont boil the tank. 2 powerheads and a light depending on what you wanna keep. That really all you need.

EdKruzel
09/25/2006, 12:11 AM
Kaser
[welcome]

It is a very addictive hobby and by doing the research and having patience, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

I'd recommend to start with a 40 breeder tank, (36''x18''x18'') and set it up for mostly inverts and macro algae; this will provide a constantly changing scenery with very unusual creatures, all the while helping you to learn the make up and science behind a marine ecosystem.

Good Luck,
Ed

theatrus
09/25/2006, 12:20 AM
40 breeder or 75gallon is what I would say.

Main reason? The 55g is so narrow back to front its very hard to arrange nice rock work. The cost difference between these 3 isn't very large and its better to get a tank you will be happy with in the long run.

Waxxiemann
09/25/2006, 12:23 AM
My advice is to read, read and then read some more.

Also a basic thing I think is very important in to make sure that you use an RO/DI unit.

Kaser
09/25/2006, 12:28 AM
Good call there Theatrus. I do want to be happy with my tank.

Thanks for the warm welcome edkruzel! When you guys use big words... like; macro algae, Maybe give me a little details about it? or a good resource so I can start cramming my brain?

I haven't spent any money on anything yet. so if you still feel the need to suggest something... do it!

Thanks.
-Kaser

corals b 4 bills
09/25/2006, 12:45 AM
Buy a tank that you have space for in your home- yea I know what your going to say...I don't have that kind of money,right. My words will be ringing in your ears for years because you have purchased equipment that's too small to go to a bigger tank, also you will already have the addiction so pretty soon 55 gallons will seem like 10 -ask around. trust me start with a 75+, the more water you have the more stable the tank becomes.

Kaser
09/25/2006, 12:49 AM
Hehe. Money will not be an issue once i get working. still going through all the physicals / blood work / and other test that they require before i start. :)