PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Level SPS ideas

nickyblase
09/25/2006, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for some ideas for the next level of SPS that I might try. I've had success with Monti's (plating and branching), and am looking to add some more color to my tank.

I'm looking for some ideas of SPS that is perhaps the next step up, but still relatively forgiving. I've got 175w 14k, plus 2x96w actinics over my 38G (and have a calcium reactor).

Thanks!

Amphiprion
09/25/2006, 02:53 PM
Pocillopora, some Acropora (i.e. 'green slimer', longer polyped species), Seriatopora, Merulina, Hydnophora, Pavona, Porites, etc. etc. would be worthwhile to try.

nickyblase
09/25/2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Other than the slimers, what Acro's would be good? Maybe the milli's? I'm not sure what others have long polyps.

Amphiprion
09/25/2006, 03:00 PM
I cannot and will not name species, since they are incredibly difficult to narrow down. But yes, the types of Acropora commonly called 'millepora', 'prostrata' are good choices, whether or not that is actually what they are. Also, other staghorn types are fairly easy.

Justin/TiV
09/25/2006, 03:01 PM
milli would be a great start for acros. If you have a reactor and your params are on time and stable...I wouldn't be afraid to try any sps.

Norwood IND
09/26/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8218780#post8218780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin/TiV
milli would be a great start for acros. If you have a reactor and your params are on time and stable...I wouldn't be afraid to try any sps.

Yeah. If your parameters are stable and you have had success with other sps, you should not be afraid to try any type of sps at this point.

wife no likey
09/26/2006, 12:20 PM
Here is a copy of a list that Chris from RM made awhile ago:

"Easiest= most Staghorn's: A. nobilis, A. formosa (super fast grower), A. insignis, A. yongei, A. abrolhosensis, A. tortuosa, A. horrida, A. robusta, A. exquisita, A. pectinatus, A. pulchra, A. austera. Also non-stags; A. tenius, A. sarmentosa, A. kimbeensis, A. valida, A. nana, A. vermiculata, I am sure there are a few more.

More Difficult= A. abrotanoides, A. secale, A. samoensis, A. humilis, A. chesterfieldensis, A. granulosa, A. macrostoma, A. schmitti, A. parilis, A. azurea, A. millepora, A. prostrata, A. lokani, A. latistella, A. plana, A. echinata, A. navini, A. proximalis, A. verweyi, A. cerealis, A. grandis, A. maryae, A. microphthalma, A. copiosa, there are more I just can't think of them at the moment.

Most Difficult or just need a really mature system with tons and tons of flow= A. gemmifera, A. hyacinthus, A. cytherea, A. bufuricata, A. monticulosa, A. suharsonoi, A. loripes, A. rosaria, A. donei, A. efflorescens, A. solitaryensis, A. branchii, A. retusa, A. aculeus, A. caroliniana, A. clathrata, A. globiceps...."

nickyblase
09/26/2006, 12:49 PM
Wow - that is a huge help. Thanks!!!

wife no likey
09/26/2006, 02:25 PM
np.. .and thanks to Chris

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/happy0180.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)