PDA

View Full Version : Clown Question... need your opinion

jallard
09/25/2006, 04:57 PM
I currently have 1 allardi clown about 3-4" and I am going to purchase at least one to try to get a pair. And yes I know it will take time to pair, im in no hurry. The question is...would you buy, and introduce 2 small ones and let 3 clowns live together to help figure out who will pair up? Or will they just beat each other.

dantodd
09/25/2006, 04:59 PM
I would only introduce one. At 3-4" you could easily have spawn in 6mo. if the new fish is mature enough to fertilize the eggs.

edit: I should say this is the case with similarly sized clarkii and similar relative sized ocellaris. I understand allardi are harder to get to spawn so I would exactly start taking orders for the fry.

jallard
09/25/2006, 05:14 PM
well I may be wrong to assume....but the large allardi prolly is female. Plus my smaller allardi died about 4 months ago....so if she wasn't she might be on her way to being female now :)

davocean
09/27/2006, 01:48 PM
I would add a very small one to have a greater chance of it being male.
Your larger one will most likely dominate and keep it that way.
I wouldn't add 2, they'll fight if not right away they will in time.

dantodd
09/27/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8219742#post8219742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jallard
well I may be wrong to assume....but the large allardi prolly is female.

Even if she's not I believe (no proof) that having well defined roles from the beginning will help on the way to spawning. If here is any contention over "who's the boss" it will likely take energy away from maturing/spawning.

Make everything as easy to decide on as possible.

That's my theory anyway!