PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish.. how often should I feed?

Kraz3d
09/25/2006, 05:53 PM
I bought a 6" violation about a month ago for the first 2 weeks he was eating live food. but now he is eating frozen silversides. When i feed the tank he is right at the top with the puffer waiting for his meal every day(1 silverside).. Is this to much? Should i be feeding him every other day?

thor32766
09/25/2006, 06:37 PM
some people feed everyday, some every other day. you will get debate on it.

Andrew
09/25/2006, 07:08 PM
I feed my old lions every day to keep the aggression down. They would always wait at the top of the tank for food if I missed a day.

VolitanLioness
09/25/2006, 07:11 PM
I would say every other day, feed just enough to see a slight bulge in the stomach. Feed a variety of foods soaked in vitamins, not just silversides.

Here is the lion info sheet which will help guide you.....
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

Kaye

Kraz3d
09/25/2006, 08:29 PM
Ah thanks for the link.. Ive tried other foods but for now silversides is the only nonlive food he will take which is a step up. for the first 2 weeks he would only take live food. (guppies and ghost shrimp)

I think after time he will take that frozen krill just a matter of beating the puffer to it.

VolitanLioness
09/25/2006, 09:10 PM
You Welcome ...... Try a feeding stick, you can pick one up at your LFS, they are about $2.50, this way you can spot feed the lion. You can also try feeding Crab, Scallops, Raw shrimp and so on from the local grocery store.

Kaye

stykthyn
09/25/2006, 11:41 PM
I always fed mine twice a week. let them prowl the tank it's good for them. their digestive system does not work that fast and daily feedings have been proven to be bad for them.