PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Try This!!!

WingnutSr
09/25/2006, 06:40 PM
I had 2 Green Chromis some how get into one of the 2 corner overflows of my tank. Tried everything I could think of to get them out. Net wont fit in there, tried stopping the flow and over filling the tank to allow the room to free swim out, even tried catching them by hand, but nothing worked. One has been in there for 3 days, and he got company in there sometime over night
So, I figured what the heck, try the shop vac. After all, they would not run through the motor or filter of it. But boy oh boy, that corrugated tube was really bad for them. They came out of the bottom of the vac scaled and de-finned.
I figured it was worth a try. Better than having them live in the overflow.
I have since installed some gutter guard around the top of both overflows. Hopefully this will prevent future escape attempts.

T-T-Trigger
09/25/2006, 06:47 PM
why not just shut off the return and then siphon out the overflow chamber, then net them/grab them?

cbeitel
09/25/2006, 06:48 PM
You should get a Discovery Channel Life's Lessons award for that move.

Poor Fish!!!

It did make me laugh though!!:lmao: :lmao:

WingnutSr
09/25/2006, 06:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8220403#post8220403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by T-T-Trigger
why not just shut off the return and then siphon out the overflow chamber, then net them/grab them?

The net would not fit in there. And I cannot get my arm in there past my elbow to reach the bottom.

bufu11
09/25/2006, 07:25 PM
get a smaller net???

LauraCline
09/25/2006, 08:07 PM
I'm trying not to laugh for the sake of the poor fish but, this really sounds like something my husband would do.

lol, years ago he once almost caught the house on fire trying to kill a spider. Spiders "freak him out" and he didn't want to/couldn't catch it so, he decided to light it with one of those grill lighters. It scorched the wall and the burning spider dropped into our catbox and caught it on fire.

reefbuzz
09/25/2006, 08:17 PM
That was kinda funny. Thanks for warning us; now I won't vacuum a fish out...

tkeracer619
09/25/2006, 08:20 PM
Um, I ran into the same problem. I just stopped my overflow unhooked it, and dumped the snail back into the tank.

t5Nitro
09/25/2006, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8221022#post8221022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LauraCline
I'm trying not to laugh for the sake of the poor fish but, this really sounds like something my husband would do.

lol, years ago he once almost caught the house on fire trying to kill a spider. Spiders "freak him out" and he didn't want to/couldn't catch it so, he decided to light it with one of those grill lighters. It scorched the wall and the burning spider dropped into our catbox and caught it on fire.
lol! Ya, I found this spider in my room, freaked me out so I just put a light cover over him and was so happy, then I thought, what if he got out under it, lifted it up and zoom he was gone, took a while to get him but it freaked me out lol.

Lpabsolute
09/25/2006, 09:02 PM
Ewww.....Something similar happened to me. I had a 6-line wrasse that swam into my overflow on my 54g corner. Tried everything to get him out. I finally bent my fish net so it would fit into the back overflow, and put some food in it, after a while he finally swam in an i chought him. I was luckey. It sucks on my corner because i was standing on a ladder bending over the tank, killed my back but now i have something over my overflow to keep fish out. Never will make that mistake again....

ambaratur
09/25/2006, 09:06 PM
Could have just bought some 1" ID tubing and just syphoned them out.