PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang

jdm01
09/25/2006, 08:58 PM
I just got back from the LFS a couple of hours ago. I bought a naso tang to see if it can help me take care of an unidentified algae problem. Given that there are no known chemical solutions to my algae problem at this point, I thought I would give the naso a try. The unanticipated problem is what turns out to be a very aggressive adult bumblebee chromis. (I bought a fish trap for the exclusive purpose of trapping the bumblebee and executing him at my first chance!!!) The bumblebee is about 1-1.5" compared to about 4" for the naso. All of this in a 90 gallon aquarium with a lot of rock work. The bumblebee keeps taking shots at the side of the naso. The naso is hiding in the rockwork and I have turned out all of the lights except for the moonglows. How capable is the naso of defending itself? Apparently it was the bumblebee that killed my tomini a few weeks ago.

BTTRFLYGRL
09/26/2006, 04:16 AM
First off, your tank is too small to house a Naso.. Buying a fish to solve an algae issue is often a bad idea as the fish is adding waste and probably won't eat the algae

I hope you were kidding about executing your Damsel..They are aggressive, you should have known that before you placed him in your tank..Now your going to kill him for acting/doing what comes natural?:rolleyes:

And yes, the Tang can defend himself with his little weapon..He could really hurt the Damsel if he wanted to..Naso.s are one of the least aggressive Tangs though, so he hides
He is hiding because he's new, he's scared..Give him time, he'll come out

jmaneyapanda
09/26/2006, 06:13 AM
agreed on all points.

jdm01
09/26/2006, 07:57 AM
Kim,

I agree with your points. I should have explained that the Naso will eventually go into a 220 that I am getting ready to build, so size should not be the issue. Plus I have really grown to like the tangs.

Actually the guy at the LFS is going to take the damsel back. I bought five knowing they were aggressive and I have two in another tank. While aggressive, they have been good tank mates for the other fish. The one damsel in question is out of character aggressive. It is attacking everything in the tank including its own kind. The other four in the 90 are fine and the two in my 29 are fine.

BTTRFLYGRL
09/26/2006, 12:47 PM
Oh...see, had you explained all that before, my answer would have been different;)

Try some snails and red legged Hermits for the algae, see if they help

Also some macroalgae in your sump..[if you have one]

fisherette
09/26/2006, 01:00 PM
yep, snails are your answer. cowries work great also. you can get small ones (about an inch) if you ask your lfs to order them.

kelled2
09/26/2006, 05:15 PM
Try a sea hair

thor32766
09/26/2006, 05:52 PM
all the above will work. tangs love algea but very few will eat the nasty stuff we have in our tanks. good luck!

jdm01
09/26/2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have a tank journal in a different forum and most of my history is there. I have become lazy when posting questions outside of that thread and tend to not explain all the details - sorry.

I have some blue leg hermits, astrea snails, and turbo snails. Unfortunately none of the above are touching the stuff. I will try some of your other suggestions as well. I have most of what I need to add macro to the sump I have just been lazy and not done that yet. I guess that needs to be next and sooner than later.

The tang is a great fish. It apparently taught the chromis a lesosn earlier in the day because when the actinics kicked on tonight the tang came out. Earlier in the evening the chromis attacked my clarks clown. The clarks clown won and the chromis is back in his designated space. That chromis has a way of backing off if the new fish can last for the first 24 hours or so.

Oh and by the way Kim, I live in Indy and am a Colts fan as well. Maybe this will be their year?!?!

BTTRFLYGRL
09/27/2006, 04:13 AM
I got my fingers crossed!!;)

jdm01
09/27/2006, 08:51 PM
Just in case you want to see a picture of my naso, here is a link to my tank journal here on RC.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8235704#post8235704

BTTRFLYGRL
09/28/2006, 06:55 AM
Pretty!

Where did you get him??

thor32766
09/28/2006, 08:54 PM
yeah hes a beauty congrats!!!

Triggerfish
09/29/2006, 03:48 PM
mexican turbos will eat all kinds of filamentous algae.

jdm01
09/30/2006, 06:11 AM
I got it at the Uncle Bills on the east side of Indy. They had 2 when I was there a week ago.