PDA

View Full Version : Raising Peppermint Shrimp in a Breeder Net?

mwp
09/25/2006, 10:17 PM
Just like the subject says, can these shrimp be raised in a breeder net? I had a big hatch this evening and well, the larval tank is full of Baby Apogon leptacanthus. But if nothing else I want to give these guys a shot so they can be food for the Seahorses down the line...if not to actually be sold off or something. Was thinking a breeder net might be possible; it "seems" to fit some of the main requirements (i.e. opaque sides).

Thoughts?

Matt

mwp
09/25/2006, 11:50 PM
FWIW, so far I have to say that this already looks like it's not going to work...most of the shrimp larvae became stuck in the corners pretty quickly. I placed a small specimen cup in front of the filtration outflow which greatly reduced the speed at which water circulates through the breeder net, but still many of the larvae are NOT swimming, but rather are on the net in the corners.

I'm going to stick with it for now because it's the only option, but I think I know how it's going to end already.

Matt

clownfish75
09/26/2006, 04:25 AM
the local peps i have cultured here, are very poor swimming tiny animals for the first 3-5 days, after that you might be able to maintain them in a net, but loss of food during the day would be a big problem i would imagine.

Christian

jake levi
09/26/2006, 06:38 AM
They are worth their own dedicated tank. About the only thing I'd use a 'breeders net' for is baby mollies. You need enough current to keep them moving and its going to be hard to keep them out of the corners.

Kathy55g
09/26/2006, 09:53 AM
If I recall correctly, Kirkendall's book says you can culture them in a small tank with no heater, just an airline and maybe a sponge filter . I wonder if a bucket would do it.

mwp
09/26/2006, 10:46 AM
A bucket? I'd get shot by Renee if I had a bucket of larvae sitting on the floor - granted it would skirt the "no new tanks" mandate ;)

I ended up placing our newer female Red Scooter Blenny in with the shrimp larvae - she's skinny still and well, they'll go a long way towards helping her fatten up (ultimately I'd rather have the RSB's breeding than working with the shrimp anyways!)

FWIW,

Matt