PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank filter media

dheinze
09/26/2006, 08:28 AM
Hi...And thanks before-hand for any answers:)

I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon QT. I am using an aquaclear power filter plus a powerhead for filtration. I have the filter media sponges floating in the sump of my display tank, and I wondered how long I need to wait before they are colonized with denitrifying bacteria...Which would mean I could get my QT running. There's no pressing need for it except that I would like to get more fish:)....

Thanks

naterealbig
09/26/2006, 08:35 AM
I have a 10 gal QT as well, and use a pengin (bio-wheel) for its filtration. When I first set it up, left the bio-wheel in my established sump for a week before I put it in the penguin. To aid the 'cycling' I also tore off a small piece of filter floss from my wet/dry and stuffed it down in the filter. This should be fine, just remember not to add too many fish to the QT, I would recommend 1 or 2 small/ 1 medium size fish at a time for that size tank.

hdevils
09/26/2006, 08:48 AM
i would say to have the filter in the display for at least a month, then put it in the QT, test the water every couple days and when all levels are at 0 for a week. now you may add new fish.

your pretty close, im in Bartlett..

dheinze
09/26/2006, 09:40 AM
thanks for the info, y'all. As far as upkeep goes, most of what I read seemed to indicate

5-10% WC every other day
minimal feeding (at first)

What about using something like amquel to keep the ammonia down?

hdevils: yeah, not too far away. That's cool. I wondered why you think testing the levels is important before adding fish...i.e., where would ammonia come from in a QT until fish are added?

thanks

hdevils
09/26/2006, 09:57 AM
you should cycle the tank before fish are added. adding fish food to the tank gets the cycle going. how do you know when the tank has gone through the cycle? by testing.

you dont plan on cycling the tank with fish do you???

amquel should work.

dheinze
09/26/2006, 11:20 AM
I think there are probably a number of really good ways to set up a QT. I was going about it roughly as described in this article by Steven Pro:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Where it is suggested that a mature filter can be maintained in the sump of the display and the QT is only up and running when necessary. This mature filter should take the place of a rough cycling...Although in my small QT, I would think that vigilance on the NH3 levels would be an order anyway. So the question I asked to begin with was how long would it take for the filter media to mature...Granted, 4-6 wks is normal for filter media in an unestablished tank, I just wondered if it was any different when the filter media is being cured in a relatively mature system. Hope this clears up what I meant.

hdevils
09/26/2006, 11:53 AM
i would think it would be the same time frame, 4-6 wks.

i think it would also be helpfull to have water running through the filter rather than just sitting in the tank. using a powerhead or something.

naterealbig
09/26/2006, 12:37 PM
I would have to say that I disagree with hdevils here. Not dismissing his valid points that 1. the parameters should be monitored closely, 2. The tank should be 'cycled' or 3. You should not cycle the tank with fish. BUT - when you put the filter media inside the sump of the main tank, the bacteria will grow onto the media. When you transfer the filter media from the main sump to the QT tank you are transferring all of the bacteria with it; essentially instantly cycling the QT tank. Now, the time that it takes for a substantial amount of bacteria to grow onto the QT filter media will depend on how well established and stocked your main tank is. The more livestock, and the more established the tank is, the quicker the bacteria will grow. It would only take 4-6 weeks to grow the bacteria on the media if you were starting with an emty/unestablished main tank.

Please keep in mind that I 'start-up' and 'shut-down' my QT display as needed, and this method has worked for me. Like I said however, I am careful to not overstock the QT or you WILL get an ammonia/nitrite spike regardless of the amount of the bacteria on the QT filter media. Hope this helps.

hdevils
09/26/2006, 12:50 PM
thats why i started by saying "i think"

makes sense that if a small 10gallon filter should get enough bacteria from the larger established main tank much quicker then cycling from a new unestablished tank.

so what would you say the time frame is cut down to?

do you transfer the qt filter back in the main tank?? i would think no if your treating diseased fish, correct? Would you say it would be ok if your qt'ing a new fish?

naterealbig
09/26/2006, 05:05 PM
I see. I would say that roughly the time frame would be cut down to a week, 10 days max. This is when I 'set up' the QT tank. If I know I am getting more fish in the next couple of weeks, then I leave the filter running, but place the bio-media into the sump while I wait. As for the transfer of the filter after treating a sick fish - yes, I still do it. BUT, I also treat the QT with copper, formalin, and melafix, which would eliminate any potential threats.