PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a larger return pump for my new 210?

corndogg
09/26/2006, 03:45 PM
Recently I upgraded from a 125 to a 210 and I used a lot of the same equipment including my iwaki rlxt30 return pump.

My chiller JBJ 1/3HP used to be able to bring down 1 degree in a few minutes but now on the 210 my chiller seems to run for over a half hour up to 45 minutes at a time. I have reduced my MH lighting from 4 x 250 to 3 x 250 due to luminarcs. The only thing that is different is the length of hose between my return pump and the chiller and of course almost doubling the amount of water I'm trying to cool. I would like to minimize wear on my chiller by not having it run for such long times and the only thing I can attribute this to is the chiller flow.

Has the increase in water volume affected chill time that greatly or do I have a shot a bring the chiller time down?

If I was to get a new return pump, would a pressure rated pump make a difference? I'd like to get one that won't triple the amount of power I'm currently using. Any recommendations?

Thanks

saveafish
09/26/2006, 04:55 PM
ok there are several things first you doubbled the water you need to cool down and if your chiller is rated for 50gal, and you put it on a 100gal your time will run 10 fold to do the same work you need at least a 1/3 hp chiller on that size to work for you and not to make you owe your life to the elct, company and to replace chillers are expensive so to over come that you can get a small chiller and do what is called pre cool the pre cool chilles go on the pump intake side so it would go like this chiller, pump, chiller, tank the other alt is sell that one and get a bigger one it is just one of thoes things that is expensive but running that chiller on that size of tank will use up its life spand very fast