PDA

View Full Version : Am I dosing too much?

Limpit
09/26/2006, 11:06 PM
After a pretty long period of checking nothing but salinity I decided to test my water for several things tonight.
Here is what I got:
Alk-5.37, 15.0 DKH
Calcium- 580
Magnesium- 1320
PH- 8.3
Salinity- 1.026

I have been using two part Calcium / Alk for several months
and I have to admit, doing regular water testing is something that I fail to do on a regular basis.
I do make weekly water changes though and mix the water up at 1.025 and also have an auto top off on the tank.

Here is my question, am I dosing too much of the A/B? I am using the basic instructions on the bottles. Should I cut back?

I have also been noticing some small bleaching patches on some of my SPS as of a week or two.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

outy
09/27/2006, 12:35 AM
you are adding too much 1 + 2

you need to test more

i like alk to be 3.6 and ca rite at 400

you can let the levels fall on there own or do a water change. your alk is very high

Limpit
09/27/2006, 09:21 AM
I will do several small water changes over the next couple of days to get help bring the levels down and stop dosing during that time also.
And yes, I do need to get into the habit of testing on a regular basis.
Thanks

Limpit
09/28/2006, 01:25 AM
Well tonight when I started to do a water change I tested the sea water before I put it in the tank and the Alk is still off the chart and the CA was at 390. I am starting to think it may be the water I am using (RO) that is causing the high Alk readings, or maybe the salt mix (IO Reef Crystals).
I will do a couple more tests tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down.
Any comments Randy?

JR719
09/28/2006, 01:29 AM
After you mix up a batch and let aerate, test it. See what you have to work with.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/28/2006, 09:23 AM
All that you need to do is stop the calcium part of the two part, and dose either the alkalinity part only (and with a smaller amount than before, the amount gauged to get the right alkalinity) or just use baking soda to maintain alkalinity, until the calcium has decline to 450 ppm or less.

No need for a water change because of this situation, although routine water changes can be beneficial and are an alternative way to try to solve this problem.

Limpit
09/28/2006, 11:48 AM
J.R., Thats what I did when I said the DK of sea water was off the charts. This was freshly mixed and aerated water, not the water in the tank.

So the Alk part of the A-B lowers the readings?
I thought it raised them.
Maybe I should have taken chemistry classes instead of shop in H.S.:lol:

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/28/2006, 01:08 PM
So the Alk part of the A-B lowers the readings?
I thought it raised them.

Adding less than you are now will allow alkalinity to drop over time. You can just stop adding any and let it drop even faster if you want.

Limpit
09/28/2006, 04:04 PM
O.K., I know what you are saying now. Thank you

How would you explain why my newly mixed water is off the DK chart right from the start?

Clarkii3
09/28/2006, 10:56 PM
keep in mind that if your using b-ionic, the dosage on the bottle i believe is if you run a skimmer, you may want to add less if your not running a skimmer

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/29/2006, 06:22 AM
How would you explain why my newly mixed water is off the DK chart right from the start?

How high is the new salt water? Use a second syringe of titrant to get an actual value (add the two values together).

Do you use tap water? It often has alkalinity in it, and combining that with a salt mix can push it too high.

Limpit
10/01/2006, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8244570#post8244570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

How high is the new salt water? Use a second syringe of titrant to get an actual value (add the two values together).

Do you use tap water? It often has alkalinity in it, and combining that with a salt mix can push it too high.

I am using an RO/DI unit for making my saltwater and also for make-up water.
I newly mixed batch of saltwater tested out the following readings:
CA 390
PH 8.2
KH 21.2 :eek1:

Looks like the issue is with my water and/or the salt mix. BTW I use IO Reef Crystals.

Can I use the same test kit (Salifert) to test the fresh water?

Billybeau1
10/01/2006, 05:31 PM
Unless you got a bad bucket of salt, I doubt your kh is 21. Especially if calcium is only 390.

Reef Crystals typically tests at 420 calcium and 12 dkh @ 1.026

Something is wrong with your test kit or the procedure.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/02/2006, 05:06 AM
Yes, you can use the same kit to measure the alkalinity of the RO/DI water. :)