PDA

View Full Version : Is Caulerpa too risky in a Display Tank?

Dave Legacy
09/27/2006, 08:12 PM
Hi,

It's my understanding that Caulerpa is risky in a display tank because if it goes sexual it will cause your tank to crash. Thing is, it seems like a lot of people on this forum have Caulerpa or recommend it' usage. If it's not that dangerous I'd like to use it... Am I misunderstanding something?

Are some Caulerpa safer to use than others?

Thanks,
Dave

graveyardworm
09/27/2006, 08:23 PM
I think it depends on the display, and what your plans are for it. If its a tank with alot of corals and difficult to reach get in there to keep it pruned then you probably dont want it there. If its a heavily skimmed tank with only traces of nutrients then probably not a good idea. I have it in a couple displays and my fuge. I keep it pruned so there's no problem. i did have a large growth of C. Peltata a little while back go sexual, but I caught it in time and removed it. If your prepared to spend a litt;e time taking care of its needs and keeping it pruned then I dont see a problem.

Dave Legacy
09/27/2006, 10:07 PM
My tank has a small bio-load (one green spotted puffer), no coral or inverts, and I just added a skimmer. I wouldn't at all be opposed to part with the skimmer since I got it for free and figured I might need to ditch for macro anyway. My tank does have a good amount of turn over though... 37G w/a 500GPH HOB.

What about it's evasive nature? I want it to be evasive in the sense that it will spread around and fill in empty spaces. However, I wonder if it will outcompete other macros that I'm interested in such as Sargassums, Halimeda, maidens hair, etc?

What species of caulerpa are the best canidates? I've seen the feather variety LFSs in my area, as well as a tall curly blate type.

Sk8r
09/27/2006, 10:16 PM
I've got it, hitchhiked on my rocks, and I spend a lot of time trying to keep ahead of it. It's a plague and a pest, and poisonous, and very few creatures can eat it. No, go back, it's a trap!