PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Cap Coral

Lpabsolute
09/27/2006, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, i just picked up a piece/ frag of a cap coral. It's pink and about 2inches by 2inches in size. My question is, what is the best way to place it in my tank. Can i rubberband it to a piece of liverock? Will it attatch on its own? can i superglue it? Also how can i tell if it's happy in the spot i place it. Are there any signs of good or bad behavior from them? I've got a 250MHL, so where is the best location to place it in my tank. I've got it rubberbanded to a piece of liverock right now about 3/4 way to to top of the tank....

Opinions Please....

theatrus
09/27/2006, 10:34 PM
The general method with montipora cap. and the plating montipora (its not easy to tell at an early stage) is to superglue them to a small piece of rubble and set that down. You can superglue the rubble to your rocks as well. It will eventually encrust around the superglue area.

Lpabsolute
09/28/2006, 11:40 AM
bump....

TCU Reefer
09/28/2006, 12:06 PM
Not satisfied with the above answer? :)

I would do the same thing. Superglue gel is all you need.

You can keep it anywhere. I wouldn't keep it at the top because as it grows, it will cast a shadow and block light trying to get to corals below it.

AquaReeferMan
09/28/2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah thats the best answer you are going to get.

RichConley
09/28/2006, 12:48 PM
I'd move it down near the bottom. I've got 250w 10Ks, and if caps are anywhere near the top, they bleach out. Mine are probably 16+" from the surface.

Lpabsolute
09/28/2006, 09:30 PM
TCU Reefer - The reason for this site and posts are to recieve general feedback from not just one but several members. I was just (bumping) my thread to see if anyone else had any opinions. Such as people who might have a montipora cap coral and would like to share advice, like "RichConley". So now i will know to move my cap from the very top of my tank to the middle and away form other corals. If you haven't already noticed, the 1st reply i got only answered the question of how to attatch it, and not about placement.

Again big thanks to:
theatrus
&
RichConley

Lpabsolute
09/28/2006, 09:31 PM
TCU Reefer - The reason for this site and posts are to recieve general feedback from not just one but several members. I was just (bumping) my thread to see if anyone else had any opinions. Such as people who might have a montipora cap coral and would like to share advice, like "RichConley". So now i will know to move my cap from the very top of my tank to the middle and away form other corals. If you haven't already noticed, the 1st reply i got only answered the question of how to attatch it, and not about placement. :)

Again big thanks to:
theatrus
&
RichConley

vessxpress1
09/28/2006, 09:38 PM
I found a piece of monti cap in my tank that had fallen down to the gravel and must have been there for months getting very little light. Somehow it survived while the other ones I did have exposed to light, low in the tank, did not survive.

This time I wasn't going to trust the super glue again and I just stuck the back tip of this piece, into a hole in a piece of rock and rubberbanded it down to the rock.

I put it up about 2" below the water's surface under T-5s and in turbulent flow, on my grow out tray. 13.5 hour photoperiod. It has since colored up nicely, the polyps are out all day and has grown slightly over the past month. Don't know if it's attached to the rock yet or not.

nemonick84
09/28/2006, 10:00 PM
whoa. Lpabsolute...I'm pretty sure TCU Reefer was joking around, hence the smiley face. It's tough to try and put a tone to someone's typed words but usually something like an emoticon will indicate the feeling/mood they are trying to convey. If you're fairly new to this site please don't think that anyone on here is trying to poke fun or make comments at your expense. Everyone is here to help eachother. These forums are a great way to communicate - we have to be careful in trying to understand one another as best we can. Besides, I think he offered some great advice and confirmed what was said in the first response.
Anyways, hope all works out with the Montipora. Best of luck.

Nick

Lpabsolute
09/28/2006, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8243455#post8243455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nemonick84
If you're fairly new to this site please don't think that anyone on here is trying to poke fun or make comments at your expense.

(In case you want to know how fairly new I am)
Lpabsolute
Registered Member

So if he gives a :) after his comments its ok, but if i give a :) after my comments it's not?

TCU Reefer
09/29/2006, 09:51 AM
Chill dude. It was a joke.

I even tried to answer your question.

Glad you liked my response so much (HEAVY SARCASM TRYING TO BE IMPLEMENTED HERE!!!!).

Lpabsolute
09/29/2006, 11:15 AM
:wavehand: Geezzz, thanks so much DUDE. Now i can finally get a good nights sleep knowing that i can just CHILL. :blown:

TCU Reefer
09/29/2006, 12:52 PM
Your welcome buddy. Sweet dreams.

Lpabsolute
09/29/2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks Chief....

ADA33
09/29/2006, 01:22 PM
I super glue mine and put towards the top because of my pc lights.

It would be nice to have more education in this thread than sarcasm.

Lpabsolute great question