PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at my first in-wall!

BBain
09/28/2006, 09:17 AM
I am looking for some tips or suggestions about installing my 50 gal cube (25x18x25) into one of the basement walls. I am thinking it will be easier than making a stand and canopy. but, any tips or suggestions would be GREAT!! Thanks
Brad

30mini
09/28/2006, 09:22 AM
You still need to make a stand for it to sit on... it just doesn't have to look as good! There are a ton of in-wall tank threads on here. It shouldn't be hard to find one

BBain
09/28/2006, 09:56 AM
This is what i was thinkin'. i want the center of the tank at "eye level" ( i am 5'10" ) so i am thinkin' the center of the tank will sit about 5'5". I am going to build a stand (all out of plywood and 2x4's then seal it with kilz) for the tank then a smaller one so that the top of the sump will be at the base of the tank. With doing this i am hoping to get more out of my return pump. I will post pics when i get started. prob will be in about 3-4 weeks.

30mini
09/28/2006, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a plan! I like the idea of making the sump close to the tank... just will you have enough room to get in there for maint.?

BBain
09/28/2006, 10:58 AM
the sump will shoot to the right of the tank, kinda like a L shape. i will be able to access the tank from the left side of the tank. plus the sump is 4'x1x1.. so i can get around it if i center it. i think. i will have to test fit and see. thanks for the comment, really didnt think of that part!

30mini
09/28/2006, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8239043#post8239043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BBain
really didnt think of that part!
Thats what we are here for!

a4twenty
09/28/2006, 01:06 PM
your going to want to go lower than that. how often or long do you ( or your guests ) stand and look at your aquarium? remember that you don't live in a museum. i started out up high and moved it lower and lower until i can see everything perfect while sitting on the couch. ( about 27" ). it also makes it a lot easier to service without a step ladder.

Safir
09/28/2006, 03:55 PM
also beware with a taller tank that if you place the bottom high off the ground the top will be close to the ceiling - leaving very little room a) for lights and b) to get in there to aquascape, screap glass, etc, much less get big pieces of rock in.

just a thought - i've seen some i felt were too close to the ceiling, especialyl if this is a utility area, the ceilings tend to be lower than living areas

BBain
09/28/2006, 04:18 PM
Those are all great ideas, thanks! i will definately keep them in mind. I will have to play around with all those before i start cutting. thanks again!!