PDA

View Full Version : Tunze vs the EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump

edwardw771
09/28/2006, 12:30 PM
Tunze vs the EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump
I am on the market for a few Power head pumps to move the water around in 2 120 Gallon tanks and a 90 gallon.

I did a little reading last night on the Ecotech's Pump vs the Tunze 6110

391.00 retail for the Tunze
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Category_Code=

345.00 retail for the EcoTech
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Category_Code=

They both are rated for around 3000 Gallons per hour.

The EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump can be moved all over the tank with the magent. What are the other Pro's of one vs the other?

rvitko
09/28/2006, 12:46 PM
I would actually recommend the 6000 unless you are doing a bare bottom SPS tank. One thing to keep in mind is the numerical flow rates given on prop pumps tend to not be very accurate, our method is to attach a pipe on an incline filling a large polyethylene bag, the bag is weighed to get the volume and then this is multiplied out by the number of seconds it took to fill the bag to get the gph. Most other companies use a method where they measure how long it takes dye to disperse. Bottom line is our method underrates the flow as in real life you don't have the incline or back pressure of the pipe. I think our pump is stronger for the amount of energy it consumes and we have a 46 year reputation. I don't think this is really the best place to ask this question as you want unbiased answers and that is more likely to be attained in the open forums. You should keep in mind though that the set you are comparing it to, ours includes the controller, if you want a magnet holder we do offer them and I think in reality there pump is more comparable to our 6000, maybe a bit more flow but if you get a 6000, mag holder and contoller it will use 1/3rd the power, it can be aimed, and you have the ability to pulse the pump. There main advantage is it is smaller inside the tank, I am not convinced however that it is more elegeant to have a big piece protruding outside the tank. Our mag holder is only 5/8" thick.

bskiba
09/28/2006, 01:48 PM
I just have to say I have a stream with controller and it has worked great for over a year. a buddy of mine has 4-vortecs and has had problems with a couple of them. the reliability just isn't there yet for the vortecs.

Jar*Head
09/28/2006, 04:57 PM
I am also a big fan of Tunze :). I have 2 of everything that controllable. I have seen vortech in action even thought it came with the controller but it was not impress me enough. I am currently using 2x6100, 2x6200 and two wavebox in my cube tank, i am very happy with the flow and wave patern. I don't think with the same number of vortech pump will provide that much of flow without any turbulence and wave up to 1.5". For your tank size, i would highly suggest the tunze nano 6055 there are a few reason for my recommendation
first, it come with smaller foot print
Second, it is controllable, you can aimed it any way you want.
third with 1400+ gph should be more than enough for your tank if you go with two. If you want more flow for SPS tank i would do 4x6055 on multi controller now we are talking about real flow.

old salty
09/28/2006, 06:37 PM
I weighed this same issue for a while and the Tunze reputation is what sold me. I'm not taking anything from EcoTech or their excellent customer service, as they seem more than determined to make this an excellent alternative. Once they figure out the controller and the battery backup, they are certainly gonna give Tunze a run for the money. Then again, I don't think Tunze is going to rest on their laurels either!!