PDA

View Full Version : lighting a 30" tank plus 2 more Q's

mr. bojangsjang
09/28/2006, 01:40 PM
What would be the best way to light a 30 gallon 30" LPS/softie tank? I was thinking MH, but don't these only light 24" of tank? I would need 2 MH lights right?

What is a closed loop and open loop?

What do lunar lights look like when turned on? Do these only go on at night? A coralife MH pendant has 3 lunar lights built in the fixture, are these enough lunar lights for a 29 gallon tank?

Siffy
09/28/2006, 02:29 PM
I run 2 96watt PC quad bulbs. They're 21" long and staggered so the lights overlap in the center of the tank and the edges of the tank are low light. You may not need anything as intense as MH, but if you found the correct reflector it would work. 24"x24" is a rough estimate for what MH can do. And as your tank isn't 24" deep chosing the right reflector would make a world of difference.

An open loop is overflow to sump then returned. A closed loop takes advantage of head pressure before the pump to increase the flow. The only head in a closed loop system is from friction and any elbows, not from height differences between where the water is picked up and returned as they're the same.

Apocallypse
09/28/2006, 03:35 PM
MH is more than enough light to keep LPS and softies. I have a 30x12x22 tank ( 37 gallon ) running off 2x65 watt power compacts ( current- usa orbits ) and have had success keeping LPS and softies ..even with the depth of my tank.

even if your corals are not in the direct path of the MH lighting their should be enough in-direct lighting to keep your lps corals happy in a tank your size.

what are the dimentions of your tank. ( most 29 gallon tanks that i know of are not very deep )

how much live rock do you have and how do you have it arranged( do you plan to place the corals on the rocks, sand bed ect.. )

what kind of MH fixture ( how long and wide is the fixture ) do you plan to get and how many watts

siffy answered the loop question

Lunar lights are for asthetics. they can be tiny led lights that cause a slight reflective shimmer effect in the tank after the main lights go out at night. suppose to be good for the corals... personally never turn them on unless i have guests in my house..

mr. bojangsjang
09/28/2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys. I actually don't ven have the LR yet. My 29 tank is 30X12X18. Will white lunar lights create that MH shimmer during the day? I only wanted MH lighting over PC because I LOVE the shimmer. If I could have my way I would get T5 but tek doesn't make them at 30" lengths and I believe thats the only t5 fixture that has individual reflectors.

mr. bojangsjang
09/28/2006, 05:41 PM
PS- completly baffled by closed loop systems.