PDA

View Full Version : helping acan lord

Perureef
09/28/2006, 05:50 PM
here's my story.....i bought a small piece of red acan lord from my pet store. it was only $20 dollars because of the 12 or so polyps it originally had only about 4 or 5 are healthy, while 2-3 are dying and the rest are naked skeleton. I bought it because i believe that i can save it, having had a similiar and successful experience in the past with a closed brain coral. my questions are:
is the tissue interconnected? i bought it assuming they arent, but if they are there is no reason to think the damage will not spread, thus making my situation hopeless. I'm aware that feeding accelerates growth, so should i do it more often, or should i keep it at once a week? I have 4*54W T5 HO bulbs over the tank, should i provide it with strong light or keep it soft? Finally, most of healthy polyps are surrounded by dead skeleton. should i cut this skeleton so they have room to spread, or will they grow over the skeletion? If so, how would i cut it off?

Sorry for the lengthy post but i hope someone can help me out. thanks

MammothReefer
09/28/2006, 06:02 PM
I've been bringing a couple back from the dead, I feed them every other day the tissue when healthy is connected, but it will die off between the polyps sometimes steady feeding and it will grow back and reconnect.

Chads29
09/28/2006, 06:56 PM
if you feed it to much it could stress it. Don't cut the dead skeliton off because you may see some of the polyps come back to life on it. as long as the mouths are alive you can save them.

Perureef
09/28/2006, 10:50 PM
ok thanks for the info. so just to verify is feeding every other day not consider too much? again thanks