PDA

View Full Version : is my new tank going to cycle

maliboost
09/28/2006, 10:32 PM
ok this is what i'm going to do with my new 75 gallon, put 80 pounds of southdown in it then take 20 pounds or so of sand from my current tankand put over it, along with 40 or so pounds of lr from my current tank, also going to buy another 40 pounds of fully cured rock out ofsomebody elses tank.

reason i ask is the lr i'm going to buy is really nice and i don't want all the good stuff on it to die, there is some mushrooms among other things

dlaxer24
09/29/2006, 12:31 AM
You might get a small cycle just from moveing stuff. You are prob alright but I think you should give it a week of testing the water before you add the new rock.

kau_cinta_ku
09/29/2006, 04:50 AM
i agree the small cycle you may have won't be big enough to cause much prob. especally with shrooms unless you leave the rock out of water for a while

sir_dudeguy
09/29/2006, 07:35 AM
ya i agree. I'd wait maybe a week...thats about how long the spikes have always lasted for me from cured rock..but then again i dont think my spikes were from rock..i added live sand at the same time so i think it was from that...only lasted a week tho.

maliboost
09/29/2006, 03:03 PM
well, the plan was to make a tote of water up and heat and keep water circulating via a powerhead off a inverter in the car when i pick up the new rock, so it should only be out of the water 2 times just long enough to transfer it from tank to container to tank so i don't see any die off happening. if all goes as planned i'll have the new tank upm in running in a few days and i have like a week after that befor i have to get the nice rock.

should give me enough time to see if there will be a cycle