PDA

View Full Version : purple coraline algae turning green

coraladdict
09/29/2006, 03:53 PM
I bought some LR three weeks ago which I added to a new tank.The lr turned purple after 6 days but now two weeks later it's starting to become green.What should I do to keep the coraline purple?

dc
09/29/2006, 05:05 PM
There are different colors of coraline algae. Maybe you are going to have a mixture. I have some orange and white with my purple. Not sure there's anything you can do.

aquarius77
09/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Make sure you parameters are correct, dont feed to much, and use RO/DI water.

Im n00b to reefs but i do have a tank, the green will subside or get munched by your snails n such then the purple will take hold.

aquarius77
09/29/2006, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8248490#post8248490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
There are different colors of coraline algae. Maybe you are going to have a mixture. I have some orange and white with my purple. Not sure there's anything you can do.

Excellent point.

There are several shades of purple, red and pink in my tank. Aside from the color variation i see many different types of coraline growing, some is smooth some is raised some even reminds me of Acro because it is actually growing off the rock and is bumpy.

Im for one am jealous.... i want some orange coraline! :D

But the green will go away dont worry.

APBorisov
09/29/2006, 06:11 PM
Awhile back I remember the discussion going on here that the "green" coraline was actually a true good form that was being noticed more and more in home reef setups, but not so much in the wild. If so, this would mean that the green is just fine, and added some awesome color to your tank.

Does this sound familiar, or am I making it up?

mfp4073
09/29/2006, 07:01 PM
I have a nano tank that has GREAT purple coraline...but I am now getting a little bit of hard green algae on the glass. Its more like a light film. Could this actually be coraline?

coraladdict
09/29/2006, 07:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8249063#post8249063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfp4073
I have a nano tank that has GREAT purple coraline...but I am now getting a little bit of hard green algae on the glass. Its more like a light film. Could this actually be coraline?

If it's hard I would say so.

coraladdict
09/29/2006, 07:06 PM
How about purple up by Seachem wouldn't that help or am I being fussy?

agoutihead
09/29/2006, 07:15 PM
i got some live rock from someone one time with awesome orange and pink on it... but after a couple weeks in my tank it all died off or turned purple.

what would have made the coraline die off?

mind you i have already had much of my own coraline grow... it was more of the deeper purple.... thats pretty much all i have ever had grow in my tank... maybe a litte green here or there.

i used oceanic salt since the get go and had high calcium for the longest time... but i think i had it right by the time i put the new batch of rock with the orange and pink coraline.

dc
09/29/2006, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8249111#post8249111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coraladdict
How about purple up by Seachem wouldn't that help or am I being fussy?

Yes! I just wouldn't worry about it that much, variety is good.:D

coraladdict
09/29/2006, 07:51 PM
Yes! I just wouldn't worry about it that much, variety is good."

I guess so but purple is so nice.I think the purple coraline comes from deeper waters and therefore when introduced in our aquariums under intense lighting they kind of change colour imo.

boxfishpooalot
09/29/2006, 08:28 PM
I think coraline turning from purple to green is an adaptation to nutrients increasing. The more phosphates and nitrates the faster it grows resulting in green photosythetic pigment, rather than purple. Or it could also be the oposite, no nutrients.

I bet your nutrients are getting higher.

outy
09/29/2006, 08:58 PM
first i would not use purple up its snake oil at best and has caused more problems then helped because of a catchy name. proper alk and ca levels are all that are needed in good clean water for purple coraline

not one person has asked whats your PH, alk, ca and mag while your at it whats the nitrates and phos levels.?

ACBlinky
09/29/2006, 09:32 PM
I have green coralline growing on the back wall of my tank - the reef was established, but we had to tear it down when the old tank cracked, and it's going through some growing pains. The rocks are still pink and purple, so I'm not sure why the glass is growing green coralline (it's never happened before). I use kalk, my alk is usually around 9dKH, Ca about 450ppm, pH 8.3. PO4 is undetectable, but NO3 is around 15ppm.

coraladdict
09/29/2006, 09:45 PM
Well my pH is 8,2 day 7,9 night ; ca 350, po4 0.07 Salifert , nitrate undetectable . I just started running some phosphate remover today and I don't have an alk test kit yet but I'm assuming it should be good because of ca and pH are normal.
Like I had said at the beginning this is a new tank , it's been running for three weeks.

"I bet your nutrients are getting higher"

I wouldn't be surprised that the fact the coraline is turning green is because of exess po4 which is high right now. Mainly because of the die off of algal spikes I'm going through which is part of the new tank syndrome.
I'll see what happens once I get the phos under control.

outy
09/30/2006, 01:14 AM
you have a handle on it and it grows so fast anyway youll have more purple then you want soon enough

boxfishpooalot
09/30/2006, 06:04 AM
po4 0.07 Salifert

Corraline algae is known to grow signifigantly slower at high phosphates. As little as .03ppm phoshpate can slow growth by as much as 90%.

Might have to do with the color too ;)