PDA

View Full Version : What did i just do!?

MrMexReefer
09/29/2006, 04:32 PM
okay... i was adding some super buffer dKH just like the instructions said... and as soon as i added the solution, my hairy shrooms vomitted up some long white slimey stringy stuff. Looks like white intestins! they seem to be swalling it back up right now... did i kill them?? Whats the deal??????

kiknchikn
09/29/2006, 08:26 PM
They expell their intestines when they're stressed or when digesting food (including other corals). Its usually a temporary thing and then they go back to normal as long as what ever stressed them out is gone.

MrMexReefer
09/29/2006, 08:45 PM
thanks kik, sure seems like what happened! They appear to be back to normal now... that was weird! haha :)

kiknchikn
09/29/2006, 09:07 PM
You probably just changed the alkalinity/pH too fast and the shrooms reacted to it.

Were you adding the buffer directly to the main tank? If so that probably caused rapid, localized changes temporarily until the buffer completely mixed and spread through out the tank.

If you have a sump you might want to add it there and add it more slowly next time instead, if you aren't already.

MrMexReefer
09/29/2006, 09:12 PM
yeah, i will add it more slowly next time. Hey, we have the same tank!! and sand. lol got any pics of your setup??

kiknchikn
09/29/2006, 09:29 PM
That's pretty cool. Yes I do have pics of it, although it is still relatively young like yours. You can see my tank at http://www.mikesreef.com. The cost of the domain and hosting was so cheap I just had to make a page for my tank.

MrMexReefer
09/30/2006, 03:45 PM
Cool page mike! thats so dope how you can have your tank at work! Hmmm now im considering my own page.... 2.50 a month is basically free! We have the same exact tank.. cept im using T5 lights. I'll upload some pics of mine.. the rocks in your tank are sweet... i mostly have little frag rock pieces in mine. :)

kiknchikn
09/30/2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks! I wish I had gone with T5, but I had so many other expenses right then I couldn't pump another $50 - 100 into lighting, especially after paying for those rocks. They look pretty cool, but they came with a hefty price tag lol

Let me know when you have some pics of yours uploaded so I can check them out.

kiknchikn
09/30/2006, 04:57 PM
I sent you a PM by the way, just to let you know.