PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency of Shaving Brush Plants in reducing Nitrates?

jaydubh11
09/29/2006, 08:33 PM
I have just cycled my 20g Nano and I am looking for some macro algae to put in the tank. I have 20 pounds of LR and 30 pounds of LS (making a 1 1/2" bed). I was thinking about getting 2 Shaving Brush plants to reduce Nitrates. Is this is a good idea? Are there other benefits to the Shaving Brush such as reducing Phosphates? And would I have to worry about my snails (Trochus, Nassarius, Cerith) getting it?

I have PC lighting - 65w 10k/65w actinic

Ryanqk
09/30/2006, 02:24 AM
I had a couple of those, (they grow in the bays and some shallow areas here) But they got tore apart in my tank, I'm thinking of getting another tho and planting em in my fuge. I think if you have a fuge they will grow best. They can accumulate alot of "dust" and detrius on them so its a good idea to brush them off occasionally. Hermit crabs may take a liking to it if you just put it in your display, Urchins will tear them apart.
Ryan

Samala
09/30/2006, 03:24 PM
They seem to be rather slow growing for most people, which makes them less than ideal for use as a nutrient exporting macroalgae. I would look into Halimeda if this is going to be a display macroalgae.. that tends to grow at least a bit faster.

If you have a sump area you can of course use Chaetomorpha, which is the perennial favorite for fast growing, easy to manage, nutrient exporter. Chaeto might work alright stuffed into the rock in some of the back areas where it can still get light.. but it'll accumulate detritus there and cause havoc that way.

Other display-safe algae you might attempt: Botryocladia (red bubble or red grape), Gracilaria (tang heaven).

>Sarah