PDA

View Full Version : Skunk vs Fire Shrimp?

Raibaru
09/30/2006, 10:41 AM
Currently I have a 36g tank. Have my clean up crew and an assortment of beginner corals (frogspawn, xenia, ricordia, zoa, kenya) just to get some exposure to things.

I want to add both a Skunk Cleaner and a Fire Shrimp eventually, but just one for now. I've got a couple questions though.

1.) Will these 2 shrimp get along in a 36g tank? Or should I plan for just one?

2.) Do both perform the same function? Or is the skunk more likely to attract and work with fish?

3.) Any personality problems I should know about either?

sir_dudeguy
09/30/2006, 10:49 AM
well imo neither one of them is really a "cleaning" type of shrimp...they just kinda look good lol. But no, the cleaner shrimp will get the parasites and whatnot off of the fish and they go nuts over loose food, but they dont actualy clean anything (like algae and whatnot) as far as i can tell.

and from what i've seen, the fire shrimp are just for show.

Raibaru
09/30/2006, 10:56 AM
yea, that's what I meant. They pick off things on fish. My emerald crag is doing an awesome job at cleaning the rest of my tank and I wish I got 2 or 3 of them and some snails instead of these hermits.

Fire Shrimp do like striking though. Think both will work in such a small tank? I understand they both set up their own territories?

niloc16
09/30/2006, 10:59 AM
i have both in a 55 gallon and from day one that have hung out together. never fought or anything. the skunk shrimp is a much better cleaner of the fish but the fire shrimp will clean them only if they come to him he wont chase them down like the skunk.