PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what controller package I need

Tomzpc
09/30/2006, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I was looking at the different controllers and options and want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

I want to be able to control four sets of lights, heating, cooling and ORP as well as monitor PH. I also want to be able to check the status of the system and make changes remotely (from my office).

After checking through the site it looks like I'd need the AC III along with ph probe, orp probe, DC8 and aquanotes 3. Am I missing anything?

Also, is this easy to set up in order to be able to access remotely via the web? My home network is a DSL connection and a wireless linksys router. I'm computer literate when it comes to software but a little shaky on network connections and such so I want to make sure that this is something that I'll be able to handle with no problems.

Thanks!

Tom

gman19
09/30/2006, 02:59 PM
Sounds like you have picked the correct system...my systems sounds similar to yours as far as controls, etc...
My AC3 is supposed to arrive next week. I have 2 DC8's and one DC4HD and Aquanotes in hand.
From what I hear, setting up on a network isn't all that hard, but I am still thankful for the forum(s) on RC.

We'll tag along and see how it goes.

dhoch
10/01/2006, 06:57 AM
Tom,

When you start getting this many working parts together, it's very rarley seemless, but it's not Hard.

Setting up on a network is easy as plugging it into your router... Ohh your router is not near your tank... so now you need to make it wireless, you have to get a wireless game port and make sure that's working correctly... see

Well I have the Pro, and have it setup to do monitoring of my tank, but I also don't expose the ACIII to the internet, only to my internal network... My PC I can get at via the net (gotomypc) which is much more secure than just dangeling your Aquacontroller out there (it's like haveing a webserver at home, not recommended)...

You can check out the following website for some of the monitoring you can do:
http://www.danj.com/reef
http://www.shallowreef.com

Also haveing a remote site (like both of those) that is expecting information on the AC unit can make power failures (that cut out interenet as well) easier to notify you...

I could go on, but it would take some time.

Dave

gman19
10/01/2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks dhoch!
This is what I would like to end up with as far as web access, etc. I plan on looking into a website for my system next spring, but my first task is to get the AC3 up and configured and running. I will have to use a wireless bridge as like you said, my tank is not all that accessible from my computers.

Any further advice you might have for a newbie stating anew with an AC3 will be welcomed and appreciated!

REALLY nice site, by the way!!

dhoch
10/01/2006, 12:43 PM
Read a lot... that's the best advice I can give.

Also have a 2nd way to trip alarms or do what Curt does (he has his tank send him a VM every 15 mins or so... if he doesn't get one he's got a problem)... I did it the other way around I get a email if theres a problem, and if the tank get's cut off I get an email from my webserver.

Dave