PDA

View Full Version : My Balls or my Rocks "Bio that is"

deepboy
09/30/2006, 12:08 PM
I asked this question on the Nano forum with no reply yet so I'm asking it here since I am new with the Nano setup! 1) Why does one take out the Bio-balls and place in live rock, Dont they work the same for collecting beneficial bacteria, I herd the Bio-balls create nitrates but I'm trying to figure out how and why the live work couldn't do the same?

2) Sould I be using the combo mechanical/carbon filter cartridge that comes with the systems and if not what good to put in the first chamber before going into the second Bio-ball camber "Or live rock" chamber?

tkeracer619
09/30/2006, 12:21 PM
Live rock has areas that are void of oxygen and can convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. It is also live and offers pods and other sorts of goodies for your tank.

Bio balls have no places void of oxygen so all they can do is convert ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrates.

Use live rock =]

deepboy
09/30/2006, 01:39 PM
Okay, My tank is already up with the Bio-balls, Do I have to remove it slowly or all at once and through the rock in there?

How much live rock and should it be live like right out my tank or bought from a lfs, Would there be die off from puting it in a place with no light?

Can I use a piece of sun dry coral off the beach in Jamaica which I soaking for a couple of weeks?

Nano Chris
09/30/2006, 02:48 PM
You want to remove a few at a time, i would not remove them all as this will throw your tank out of balance. You can get lr rubble and put it in place of the bio-balls. Not sure about the last question though.